IPS hosted forum and migrating to Xenforo

Vijay

I am currently on ipb hosted forum. As such I cannot install a copy of xenforo on that hosting. So I'm planning to buy a hosting plan for xenforo. Now, how do I go about importing the forum? I assume that importing can be done easily if xenforo and ips are on the same server. But in my case, I cannot install a new software on ips.

ps: I am still exploring xenforo demo.

Attachments

• xendemo.webp
    xendemo.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 33
I am currently on ipb hosted forum. As such I cannot install a copy of xenforo on that hosting. So I'm planning to buy a hosting plan for xenforo. Now, how do I go about importing the forum? I assume that importing can be done easily if xenforo and ips are on the same server. But in my case, I cannot install a new software on ips.

ps: I am still exploring xenforo demo.
Assuming you own a copy of IPB and not just using their hosting services (which leases a copy with the hosting); you can easily and safely convert to XenForo using the build in importer for IPB.

Switching to XenForo away from IPB is a painless process that yes, can be done once you have both on the same server. :)

Of course you'll be pleased with how much faster, secure, and user-friendly XenForo is compared to IPB. Not to forget to add the level of support from the staff, community, and general friendliness & respect of the community here.

IP board is included in it but we cannot take a copy to a new webhost. According to http://www.invisionpower.com/hosting/faq.php, I'll have to purchase a self hosted license if I wish to install on my choice of webhost. This means buy a new ipboard license, install on my webhost, migrate from ips hosted to my webhost and then switch over to xen. Hmm.. costly affair. Any ideas?
Yes, as stated above you'll need to first own a copy of IPB.

In the long run it will be cheaper to purchase IPB 1x and move to XenForo.

IPB renewal fee is much higher and is required every 6 months. XenForo base price starts out less and stays less with a renewal free of only $40 once a year.

With IPB everything cost from simple template edits, icons, photos, skins, template, add-ons, 3rd party products, and the list goes on and on.... With XenForo you have an even a wide range of free template edits, icons, photos, skins, template, add-ons, and 3rd party product and most of them free.

You also have free unlimited support from the community and friendly staff here. With XenForo you're able to pick your own web host and the resources needed for XenForo are less, so there is no pressure to find a costly one either. While with IPB the resources are high and you need to use services that are typically more costly.

So in the long run, you will save a lot more and have more free resources using XenForo. Not to forget how much your users will enjoy the easy, fast, and friendly interface.

Assuming you own a copy of IPB and not just using their hosting services (which leases a copy with the hosting); you can easily and safely convert to XenForo using the build in importer for IPB.

Switching to XenForo away from IPB is a painless process that yes, can be done once you have both on the same server. :)

Of course you'll be pleased with how much faster, secure, and user-friendly XenForo is compared to IPB. Not to forget to add the level of support from the staff, community, and general friendliness & respect of the community here.

How is it 'more secure'?

IP board is included in it but we cannot take a copy to a new webhost. According to http://www.invisionpower.com/hosting/faq.php, I'll have to purchase a self hosted license if I wish to install on my choice of webhost. This means buy a new ipboard license, install on my webhost, migrate from ips hosted to my webhost and then switch over to xen. Hmm.. costly affair. Any ideas?
You need a copy of the database. You don't need IPS' software. Open a ticket in their support system and ask for a copy of your database. Import this copy into your database on your hosting package.

Can you not simply do an SQL dump of the IPB data and import it into MySQL on your new server?

My understanding of the XenForo importer is that you don't need the IPB software files - just the data.

[Edit: Ninja'd by Hatsu ... lol]

You need a copy of the database. You don't need IPS' software. Open a ticket in their support system and ask for a copy of your database. Import this copy into your database on your hosting package.

If only the database is required, then there is no issue. I have cpanel access and can take a copy of database from there. Then why does the xenforo importer asks path to ipboard (directory which contains conf_global.php, uploads and rest of the ipboard files) if those files are not required? Please check the importer page screenshot in first post.

Ah, hang on, I think I may be wrong - aren't attachments stored in the filesystem in IPB later versions (rather than the database)?

Do you have FTP access to your IPB hosted account? or are IPS willing to provide it or do a GZIP file dump for you?

The IPB team are usually good at providing support and accommodating customers, but I'm not sure how "basic" the service is for hosted boards - it may well exclude FTP access.

Nothing to lose from asking them though. (y)

Okay, well you should be good to go then - download the files from your hosted account, upload them to your new server, import a copy of your IPB data and then give the XenForo importer a test run to see how it goes. (y)

Yep.. currently downloading a copy of public_html from ftp.. Yet to order xen.. I still don't get it when they say that on hosted ips, ipboard files are encoded. What does it mean?

Yep.. currently downloading a copy of public_html from ftp.. Yet to order xen.. I still don't get it when they say that on hosted ips, ipboard files are encoded. What does it mean?

Usually this means you cannot edit/modify the scripts yourself - you know, reprogram them to do custom stuff for your site.

It shouldn't have any effect on migrating to XF. (y)

IPB has changed then.... To the best of my knowledge at one time IPB prevented you access from downloading the database or that it was encoded to prevent moving it to another host (or converting) unless you owned a copy. I never did agree to that business model myself, but good on them if they changed it (and loosened their iron grip on things).

Success! Import has been completed successfully. Although, avatar's did not get imported. Rest all was fine. Forum structure, users, usergroups, posts all got imported.

It shouldn't have any effect on migrating to XF. (y)

Are you sure? How can he migrate to XenForo if XenForo needs unencoded files? Or doesn't it?

IPB has changed then.... To the best of my knowledge at one time IPB prevented you access from downloading the database or that it was encoded to prevent moving it to another host (or converting) unless you owned a copy. I never did agree to that business model myself, but good on them if they changed it (and loosened their iron grip on things).

Encoded files did not have any effect on the import. I believe xen does not access the core ipb files, just the configs, attachments etc. @TheVisitors, the hosted communities they offer have ipboard encoded to prevent any code changes. As I have experienced today, it does not interfere with your migration.

Thank you all for some excellent replies and support!

ps: I did not move away from ipb due any issues with software or support. They have been good whenever I have required support and I do feel it is a solid piece of software. However, xenforo was perfect for my requirements.

Top Bottom