• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Fixed iPhone /iOS Responsive collapsing during page load

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Probably best to just show you:

image.jpg

This happens almost every page load for the split second while everything adapts to the screen size.

This is potentially a browser issue or as designed but it does look rather awkward while the page loads.

I can't particularly say I've noticed this behaviour on other responsive styles so perhaps there's a bit of room for improvement here.

Keep up the great work either way, Mike.

Hornstar

At one point in some cases the screen would actually stay like that. Mike fixed that however I still get what you get for about a second on new page loads.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
This is all JS because it really has no idea what fits.

I actually tried to somewhat prevent this earlier and introduced another issue (the alerts not overflowing properly), so I'm not 100% sure what I can do about this. I'll have to think.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
It's using :not CSS selectors so it requires a recent browser, but a fix for this should be rolled out now.

Jeremy

O/T but I'm currently dealing with plenty of bugs recropping up that are iOS only. Ready to throw my phone against a wall.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I'm not so sure as I never use Chrome but was able to replicate it after it was fixed in Chrome.

But looks better in both browsers now. Thank you.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Remember that on iOS, every browser is actually just the underlying Safari/UIWebView. There isn't a separate engine for Chrome, just different (err) chrome.

Jeremy

Also interesting to note, the JavaScript engine is different in those browsers. The optimized Nitro is only available in Safari, while a slower older version is provided to the other iOS browsers (chrome). Only reason I still use Mobile Safari.