iPhone app for xenForo

I still think a proper mobile skin is the way to go. Possibly with user agent auto detection.

Otherwise please also think about Android and WebOS apps.

Yeah, if it could detect the device and provide phone-specific skins, it would be more than enough. There's no need for an app on iPhone if it won't provide additional features. Since you can add a website to the home screen, there won't be any difference.

I still think a proper mobile skin is the way to go. Possibly with user agent auto detection.

Yeah, if it could detect the device and provide phone-specific skins, it would be more than enough. There's no need for an app on iPhone if it won't provide additional features. Since you can add a website to the home screen, there won't be any difference.
Exactly. :cool:

Skinning will be easier, and more flexible than making an iPhone app. Remember, you can place Web Links/ shortcuts on the iOS home screen to websites or even specific pages!

Skinning will be easier, and more flexible than making an iPhone app. Remember, you can place Web Links/ shortcuts on the iOS home screen to websites or even specific pages!

I know, but let me tell you that in my experience every single dedicated iphone App works so much better then actually browsing a mobile style. Or maybe there is somebody who can pinpoint me to an outstanding mobile theme for whatever site that is more userfriendly then a dedicated App?

I know, but let me tell you that in my experience every single dedicated iphone App works so much better then actually browsing a mobile style. Or maybe there is somebody who can pinpoint me to an outstanding mobile theme for whatever site that is more userfriendly then a dedicated App?

IPB's mobile theme. That works extremely well. It's the same thing they use in their app. Their app only manages the login and logout, the rest is a mobile skin.

Now, for the dedicated app to work, it'll need to parse XMLs of the thread(s), and use an API to manage things, but on top of that, may be the RPC-XML to communicate content back to the server, which then needs to authorise. This might be inherently harder to do - although - have a look at the wordpress app. It should be similar to that.

The forum software will likely want to become a PUSH server, so that PUSH notifications work. In this case, there will be a set of requirements for the subsystem, such as SSL. XenForo could manage a server which does this for you, on a subscription basis, thus increasing revenue.

you can get themes which look like an app on Safari, that would be the best bet... as an update would require a new download.. where as a website template prob easier and cheaper to code, would just be updated when it needs to be!

Top Bottom