IPhone/Android App

ddmmh

Hey guys,

I am looking into developing an Iphone & Android app I can distribute for free to boost traffic to my site.

To all the XF experts. Is this something thats feasible the way XF is at the moment? I use Jaxels XenPorta and XenMedio which would be a must in the App, along with the standard forums.

If this is something that can be achieved? Does anybody know how much this would roughly cost? And most importantly who to hire for this? Ive looked around and not really happy with what ive found so I would rather be referred to a developer who is known to be good through previous experiences.

All input on this matter would be great guys, thanks!

mmazone.com.au

You need to check out tapatalk. They have an API you can use to adapt to the XF frame work.
Ah yes tapatalk. I forgot that name. That's exactly what I want but built just for my site as I want to use it for promotion purposes :)

Better off developing with HTML5 and mobile skinning for each device than creating separate apps. Cost wise the two don't compare.

TMB is right it is better to develop a mobile skin for your website than to use tapatalk. In order for your members to get use out of your forum, they will have to PURCHASE tapatalk.

Iphone and Android OS both support almost all web pages on the internet (Android more so than Iphone) so it would be a wiser decision to build a web friendly design. That will both save you money and in the long run be a lot more easier for your users.

I believe there is a very well developed mobile theme for download in the Styles forum, however if you need a complete custom one I know just the person to do the designing for you :)

Thanks for the input guys. Skinning sounds like the go. Since the app would be a promo and it's what I really want to promote the site. Would developing a mobile skin then making a basic app that shows that skin. I guess after developing the theme, to make an app for the aesthetic appeal to draw customers in.

Andrew who do you recommend? :)

I would love to see a tapatalk add on for xenForo, as it could allow for photos to be uploaded from some phones into xenforo posts.
Is it possible to upload photos from iOS/android phones without a client app on the phone ?

Thanks for the input guys. Skinning sounds like the go. Since the app would be a promo and it's what I really want to promote the site. Would developing a mobile skin then making a basic app that shows that skin. I guess after developing the theme, to make an app for the aesthetic appeal to draw customers in.

Andrew who do you recommend? :)
You can have an app developed that can do that. I would recommend that your app open up your website on the default browser so there are no technical issues. Just because it just works and it will always work. That would also mean that you can save money on production costs and upgrade costs. But I say if you know what you want just go for it too though
cool.png

There is alot of talent in this community. Eric, Shelly, Russ, SonicRC, and many more. Browse around the Styles forum and if you see an skin you like, see if that developer would do some custom work. Now for professional (made in a art/web studio) can cost upwards of $900 to over a few grand. Most freelance style developers charge much cheaper than that. If you want to save tons of money, find a style you really like and then have it customized. New logo, colors buttons etc. It's easier to build and modify someone elses work than to start 100% from scratch. I know a few good designers who would offer this to people so they could save money.

For instance, this is a really great mobile style by Russ. If you like it, have it customized with new colors logo etc. I bet if you ask Russ he might be up for the job, after all he did make it.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xfstop-mobile-style.9065/

Good Luck!

I would love to see a tapatalk add on for xenForo, as it could allow for photos to be uploaded from some phones into xenforo posts.
Is it possible to upload photos from iOS/android phones without a client app on the phone ?

I can't speak for the iOS but I don't remember the 'upload' button ever working. All websites were like that on android os and I was using the Droid 1.

Good post Andrew. I definitely think the best thing to do is support a project like Russ' and customize to your needs. My dev guy normally charges around $200 an hour so if you can cut your costs anywhere you should. You just need to balance out the cost of not doing mobile right, and believe me there is a huge cost there.

You can have an app developed that can do that. I would recommend that your app open up your website on the default browser so there are no technical issues. Just because it just works and it will always work. That would also mean that you can save money on production costs and upgrade costs. But I say if you know what you want just go for it too though :cool:

There is alot of talent in this community. Eric, Shelly, Russ, SonicRC, and many more. Browse around the Styles forum and if you see an skin you like, see if that developer would do some custom work. Now for professional (made in a art/web studio) can cost upwards of $900 to over a few grand. Most freelance style developers charge much cheaper than that. If you want to save tons of money, find a style you really like and then have it customized. New logo, colors buttons etc. It's easier to build and modify someone elses work than to start 100% from scratch. I know a few good designers who would offer this to people so they could save money.

For instance, this is a really great mobile style by Russ. If you like it, have it customized with new colors logo etc. I bet if you ask Russ he might be up for the job, after all he did make it.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xfstop-mobile-style.9065/

Good Luck!

I can't speak for the iOS but I don't remember the 'upload' button ever working. All websites were like that on android os and I was using the Droid 1.

Thanks Andrew, youve been very helpful.

I think I will go with your suggestion of developing a solid mobile skin. Then getting and app developed that gives the feel of a custom program for my forums that runs through Safari etc, that way costs should be much less and I still get to do what I want to which is develop a mobile app to promote my site. Just one question, I have an iphone 4 and I noticed the upload feature does not work. Will this ever be able to work on iPhone? Im guessing its much easier on Android. I dont really see any other issues apart from XenPortal and XenMedio, have to figure out how to integrate them also into the App as they are a definate must unless I can find something easier to integrate. XenPorta and XenMedio renders terribly on the iphone. Not sure if Jaxel can resolve that. I guess ill have to ask him and see. For the actual app development would you recommend I just use a freelancer, if so do you by chance know of one? Thanks mate.

I think I will go with your suggestion of developing a solid mobile skin. Then getting and app developed that gives the feel of a custom program for my forums that runs through Safari etc, that way costs should be much less and I still get to do what I want to which is develop a mobile app to promote my site. Just one question, I have an iphone 4 and I noticed the upload feature does not work. Will this ever be able to work on iPhone? Im guessing its much easier on Android. I dont really see any other issues apart from XenPortal and XenMedio, have to figure out how to integrate them also into the App as they are a definate must unless I can find something easier to integrate. XenPorta and XenMedio renders terribly on the iphone. Not sure if Jaxel can resolve that. I guess ill have to ask him and see. For the actual app development would you recommend I just use a freelancer, if so do you by chance know of one? Thanks mate.

Thanks Andrew for the kind words for me and the others :)

As for my mobile style I am in the process of re-doing it, I wasn't extremely happy with the turn out but it is still functional. My new style should be ready soon:
jqmobile.webp

I will be offering services to customize it for different sites assuming folks need it, however I'll do my best to make it easily adjustable.
Also I do plan on supporting the notable add-on's such as XenPorta/XenMedio/and others once the foundation is set. If you have any questions ddmmh feel free to shoot me a PC

The upload function will never work. Its general implementation would mean direct access to the iOS filesystem, not permitted under Apple. In this case, an app would suffice.

Top Bottom