iPhone 13 Pro vs 13 Pro Max

TPerry

Well boys and girls.. I have somewhat of a dilemma facing me. A Dr's office that I've been doing free computer work with for decades has offered to replace my iPhone 11 Pro (256GB) with either an iPhone 13 Pro or a 13 Pro Max, either with 1TB storage (I was happy to get the bottles of bourbon they gave me, Stagg Jr. Batch #15 and #16).
I've been researching online and it looks like the Pro Max is about the same width but only about 1/2" longer. I've been carrying my 11 Pro in a Otterbox Defender case and using the belt clip attached to a front pocket on my Wranglers (yep, I'm a redneck). #1, does the bigger screen amount to that much more vision help for us older fogies, and #2 is it actually to big to put in the front pocket of a pair of comfort fit Wranglers if using the Otterbox Commuter size case? I actually prefer the Commuter case and carrying in a pocket compared to the Defender and it's clip, but when I bought the case the Defender was all that was in stock for the 11 Pro.
So what say you. If you were given the choice between the two, which would you pick considering age (and eyesight), carrying in the pocket of loose fit jeans and overall usability?

Are you comfortable with a very large phone? That's the only question you should ask yourself.

I own a 13 Pro myself because I find the Max too big (I use a MacBook Pro or iPad when I need more screen real estate).

I had a 11 Pro Max 256GB, and upgraded to the smaller 13 Pro 512GB, and I’m very happy I did. The Pro Max was a little too big for my liking, felt a lot heavier in my hand when compared to the 13 Pro.

I’ve got it in an official leather mag case, and have the belkin screen protector that apple sell.

I have a Pro Max. I was in the same boat as you. I made the decision to go with the Max blind and I'm glad I did. For an old guy with cataracts it's the cat's ass. Glad I went with it.

Are you comfortable with a very large phone? That's the only question you should ask yourself.

I own a 13 Pro myself because I find the Max too big (I use a MacBook Pro or iPad when I need more screen real estate).
I handled both while over at the doctors house (he as the Max and his son the Pro) and honestly didn't notice much difference between the two other than the Max being a little longer. The only reason I lean towards the Max is there have been a few times when I was out town away from my Surface Book or my Mini that I needed to access TeamViewer to remote into the clinic to do some minor work and on the 11 Pro I have the screen was rather limiting. And I do have rather large hands, requiring XL gloves to fit.

I had a 11 Pro Max 256GB, and upgraded to the smaller 13 Pro 512GB, and I’m very happy I did. The Pro Max was a little too big for my liking, felt a lot heavier in my hand when compared to the 13 Pro.

I’ve got it in an official leather mag case, and have the belkin screen protector that apple sell.
The Pro Max was a tad heavier than the Pro, but playing with both over at the Doctors house has trended me to the Max. His Max fit in my jeans pocket fine and I was able to sit comfortable in a chair, on the couch and even out in the truck with the seatbelt on. That sold me on the Max as it was even comfortable to hold and operate (I wear XL gloves, EU size 10).
I've ordered a Mous Limitless 4 case along with their tempered glass screen protector for it. Odds are the case will be here before the phone will. I normally go Otterbox cases, but they advertise theirs as iPhone 12 and 13 compatible... and they are different sizes so one or the other isn't going to fit right.

The new Otterbox Defender cases for the 13 Pro & Max are actually a little slimmer than the ones for the 11 Pro & Max (in case you were thinking of staying with Otterbox).

I would suggest checking them out at an Apple store as there's nothing like seeing it first hand. Alas, covid is ruining everything.

From the way you describe it, the fine details of how it looks and feels are important to you, so it's impossible for me to recommend one over the other. What about buying both online from Apple, Amazon etc, trying them out and returning one of them after? I'm assuming the law on distance selling where you live allows you to do this, of course. I'd have that option here in blighted Blighty (England).

Stay safe.

I would suggest checking them out at an Apple store as there's nothing like seeing it first hand. Alas, covid is ruining everything.

From the way you describe it, the fine details of how it looks and feels are important to you, so it's impossible for me to recommend one over the other. What about buying both online from Apple, Amazon etc, trying them out and returning one of them after? I'm assuming the law on distance selling where you live allows you to do this, of course. I'd have that option here in blighted Blighty (England).

Stay safe.
I was lucky in that the Doctors that are gifting it to me had both the Pro and the Pro Max at their house (they own the Max and their son the Pro). so I got to play around with both. Finalized on the Max due to the slightly bigger screen and I have large enough hands that I could easily handle it. My biggest concern was comfort in daily carry in a pocket for a phone that big and that was resolved by toting one of their Max's around for a bit in the pocket and going for a test drive, etc.

Just get a phone that suits you.
I'd go to the shop and take a look at the size of the phone and i'd check to see if my fingers are too big for the invisible keyboard.

I'm getting the iphone 13 because it's simple and it's all i need

The new Otterbox Defender cases for the 13 Pro & Max are actually a little slimmer than the ones for the 11 Pro & Max (in case you were thinking of staying with Otterbox).
Yeah, I read where they slimmed down some.. but what still concerned me was their dual badging for both the 12 Pro Max and the 13 Pro Max and there is a slight difference in the depth between the two of them, and in a case I want it as snug as possible, but not to tight. The more research I did on the Mous Limitless 4 the more impressed I am with it. The Limitless 3 gets really great reviews across the board and the Limitless 4 (newer design) did also and it definitely works with the MagSafe system, which the OtterBox cases have issues with, even those that say they are MagSafe compatible like the Defender. Also the Limitless 4 is supposed to thinner than the OtterBox Commuter, the only other Otterbox besides the Defender I would consider.

Yeah, I read where they slimmed down some.. but what still concerned me was their dual badging for both the 12 Pro Max and the 13 Pro Max and there is a slight difference in the depth between the two of them, and in a case I want it as snug as possible, but not to tight.
Aren't you a little fussy with a gift?
"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

Aren't you a little fussy with a gift?
"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"
Not really. I still have to spend my hard earned retirement dollars on the case. I want to make sure I get one that fits and protects it well. You see, I tend to take really good care of my stuff like that. It's why I still had Motorola Droid's and Razr X's still in my cigar boxes (until recently) that have nary a scratch on them. Only problem is their batteries have finally swollen and gone bad and forced the cases apart, so they are also going to the recycler.
You see, no way I'd drop $1600 on a phone personally. my upper limit is about $1200, and I winced when I had to do get the iPhone 11 Pro (screen popped out on my iPhone X and thought I had damaged it but turns out it was a swelling battery issue apparently but had already donated that phone to recycling and couldn't get Apple to fix it for free) but planned on keeping the iPhone 11 Pro at least 4 years. Since I'm getting the new one, the 11 Pro will go to my wife and then when the next version comes out I'll put her 11 Pro back as an emergency spare (after sending it in for a battery replacement) to have on hand in case anything happens to either of ours and they need warranty repair or service.

My 11 has been a bit buggy since I got it. Of course, now that I have one payment left, it starts having bigger issues. LOL, How is the 13 bug-wise? I'm considering upgrading to 13 but not sure yet. My 8 was much better than 11 in terms of function but 11 takes better pics.

Top Bottom