IPB - Your Thoughts?

JoyFreak

I like Xenforo, always been drawn to it. But I want to know peoples thoughts on Invision Power Board? Has anyone transferred from their board to Xenforo or visa versa? How comparable are they? Are they advanced or less advances? Someone said IPB is better (except the price) and it got me thinking.. Wanted to know your thoughts. I know Xenforo is missing a lot of features i.e classified, blogs etc. but XF 2 has been out for a year, so how long before they start implementing big add-ons.

I have both and like them each for their own reasons. My boards are not massive so there may be reasons to use one or the other at certain times.

Same here... in fact, I run 3 paid scripts (XenForo, IPS and WBB). They each have their strengths and weaknesses. You cannot compare XenForo 2.0 to IPS 4.3. If you were going to do a fair comparison you would compare it to IPS 4.0, and on that basis they are both about the same - with the stability factor being given to XenForo.
It remains to be seen what XF has planned for 2.1 - hopefully it will be some major changes or I do see a movement away from XF over to IPS due to the feature lag.
Two big areas that XF needs to concentrate on (actually 3) is clubs, reactions and a calendar.

Hi @Zuse yes I converted from XF 1.5 to IPS 4.2 awhile back (link in my profile if you’re interested) mainly for the inbuilt Gallery, Clubs and Blogs. We relied too much on third party addons so when XF2 was released, well it was start from scratch..

But I know a lot more care is taken with XF releases, I’ve had minor bug regressions reintroduced with some IPS releases.

I am really keen on what XF 2.1 has to offer and would love to use XF again for a future project.

It works well enough and the official IP products all integrate into it well as oyu would expect, although a few people I have spoken to have found with various browsers the editor in the newer versions causes them more problems than in the older 34 versions despite it being a newer CKE. I have no answer to why unless they are using outdated browsers.

I should probably say I do have one site on IPS at this moment (cannot convert yet if at all) but it is using an older version. I do have an unused licence for VB and a very old expired one for WBB too, I am not even sure what version that one ran out on. Never used it "live"

Used IPB over the years, as far as straightforward message boarding goes, both it and XenForo are pretty much on par. IPB has some nice add-ons that I haven't used. Dunno if there are XenForo equivalents yet.

Top Bottom