HYS - In development thoughts (recommendation)

Russ

Typically the Have You Seen...?'s are usually posted closer to a release to showcase completed features. Those features have sometimes changed slightly depending on the initial feedback but usually, they are what is shown and the recommendation is to post suggestions to change them on a future release.

I propose a "Have you seen X in development" of sorts where it's basically a larger feature you know is going to be in a near-future release. The difference is that this is a little more open to community-driven ideas that you can grab some early feedback and ship it with those popular ideas on the first release. The idea behind this isn't to implement every single reply that's posted but to just get feedback from all the different admins on here and see what the XF team may not be thinking of initially.

Just some thoughts, I'm perfectly happy with how XF has been announcing things for the past 8 years but I think this could be good for everyone.

Last edited:
I agree. I think if we know Chris or someone has started writing code, it benefits a lot of people because as Russ said the community can get involved (for example, reactions and weight and moderation stuff) and also (as Im bludgeoning the point) other developers can adapt, ask questions etc.

The main problem with this is the expectation it sets.

Such as if I had started talking a few weeks ago about the feature I had just started which, after a few weeks work, we’ve most likely decided that we won’t be going ahead with it until 2.2 at the earliest.

We do need to be more transparent, but it might not be in the way you’re hoping for here.

It’s something we’ve been discussing for a while and I certainly expect that we will be implementing a new process between 2.1 and 2.2.

Top Bottom