IPB vs XenForo (And integrating with website)

Dxu1994

Hi everyone,

I run a MMORPG website and I have a few questions for you all before I decide on what forum software to purchase for my community. I'm currently deciding between IPB and XenForo (took a look at vBulletin as well but wasn't very impressed), so I have a few questions:

I'd like to allow people to be autoregistered on the forum if they register in any of our games, and be autoregistered in our games database if they register on the forum, is this possible with XenForo?

I noticed XenForo doesn't have quite as nice multiquote, is it possible to attain this functionality like the same way IPB has it?

I noticed XenForo doesn't put quotes as they appear in the reply box, it comes up as [ QUOTE ] etc, where as IPB will actually display a quote box, is it possible to attain this functionality with XenForo?

And lastly, how easy is it to skin a forum with custom CSS3 if I decide to go with XenForo?

Thank you all for your time!

I'd like to allow people to be autoregistered on the forum if they register in any of our games, and be autoregistered in our games database if they register on the forum, is this possible with XenForo?
XenForo's addon system will allow you to create your own addon for this. Alternatively, people have submitted addons that you can use as external authentication APIs (OAuth2 being most common around here)

I noticed XenForo doesn't have quite as nice multiquote, is it possible to attain this functionality like the same way IPB has it?
XenForo already has multi-quote built-in. Try clicking on Reply on this post and your own post. They will automatically stack in xF's editor.

I noticed XenForo doesn't put quotes as they appear in the reply box, it comes up as [ QUOTE ] etc, where as IPB will actually display a quote box, is it possible to attain this functionality with XenForo?
You can hire a developer to add this functionality, or suggest it in XenForo's Suggestion Forums.

And lastly, how easy is it to skin a forum with custom CSS3 if I decide to go with XenForo?
Very easy. XenForo's style system allows you to change any and all CSS selectors used in XenForo and insert additional CSS in an effective manner.. Additionally, the built-in template modification system allows you to style any part of XenForo with ease.

Take a look at the Styling Manual or try the demo yourself.

XenForo's addon system will allow you to create your own addon for this. Alternatively, people have submitted addons that you can use as external authentication APIs (OAuth2 being most common around here)

XenForo already has multi-quote built-in. Try clicking on Reply on this post and your own post. They will automatically stack in xF's editor.

You can hire a developer to add this functionality, or suggest it in XenForo's Suggestion Forums.

Very easy. XenForo's style system allows you to change any and all CSS selectors used in XenForo and insert additional CSS in an effective manner.. Additionally, the built-in template modification system allows you to style any part of XenForo with ease.

Take a look at the Styling Manual or try the demo yourself.

Thanks for the reply. Is it simple to add that functionality (for the quotes)? I'm a programmer myself, I just don't want to be spending all my time trying to understand how something like XenForo works, I'm actually trying to find something that's simpler to extend.

Thanks for the reply. Is it simple to add that functionality (for the quotes)? I'm a programmer myself, I just don't want to be spending all my time trying to understand how something like XenForo works, I'm actually trying to find something that's simpler to extend.
It's only a matter of AJAX calls, though you'll probably need to know Redactor pretty well. The PHP side is easy (once you get the structure set up), the JavaScript side I can't say, never extended it myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom