• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

IPB Conversion question - Not a "Has anyone" question

Marc

Been reading up on here since this place began now and it seems that nobody as of yet has done a conversion from IBP over to VBulletin. Now I'm not a php coder of any description, I am actually a .NET developer. However I do have a copy of invision with a large community (therefore access to a big database to convert) and I write sql to a relativly high level (usually sql server, but hell its sql). So I have a few questions for people as I wanna help this place in any way I can and this is one of the few places I feel I probably could do so immediately.

• Persumably its just moving the data from one database to the other in the correct places. The theory is that simple yes?
  • Whats the score with passwords. If I was to move them all over would I simple move the data over as it is? I believe there is salt and therefore what to I need to bare in mind with this?
  • Lastly, if I am prepared to do all the data work is anyone prepared to work with me to get this into a usable conversion tool? As I said I do not write php (know the very very very basics) and pretty sure people are not just wanna use sql statements I provide, although I will provide them if people want them.

And thats it really.

He did, however he did it via his friends test site via vbulletin by the looks of it. Im willing to write all the sql to convert the data from ipb to xenforo directly if that is what is needed if someone else is willing to write the complementing php side of the converter so people can use it from a front end rather than just using sql statements. The only thing I am a little unsure about is bringing over the passwords and salt (where to put them and if I need to do anything with them first). Other than that I'm fairly confident I can get the data over without much issue and a little time spent on it. I'm pretty familiar with the ibp data structure so would just be a case of having a good look through the table structure on xenforo.

Gonna start havin a look at converting the following:

Custom BBCode
Emoticons
Groups
Members & Details
Categories
Forums
Topics
Polls
PMs
Ranks
Bad Word Filters
Ban Filters

I am glad to see progress on this converter. I did convert my IPB site to vB but it was through a round about way... As I am looking to buy some other IPB sites like mine, I am excited to see this importer come along..

Thanks Marc, for working on this!

Jamie

lmfao, this is doin my head in already LOL

Not had much time since yesterday, but have sat and mapped what is needed for ipb to xf with regards to nodes. Seem to have got them all in there and added a column for the old ipb id for use in later stages. But dont seem to be able to see any of them consistantly LOL. Got quite a few of them back simply through clicking on update in one of the node permissions pages but Im def missing something as I assumed it would use default permissions to begin with for each node. But hell, will have another play tomorrow with getting the categories/forums/linked forums etc over in one peice and visible. Usergroup mapping I think will be the next one then.

EDIT: just noticed the link in your sig Brogan. Me and wife will be joining you over there as big F1 fans looking forward to the 2011 season in march

EDIT: just noticed the link in your sig Brogan. Me and wife will be joining you over there as big F1 fans looking forward to the 2011 season in march
Glad to hear it Marc :)
We'll be on XF for the new season, assuming someone codes a phpBB importer :D

Not been around much due to the Christmas period so not got too far with it yet. However Im off between Christmas and new year so will have a good chance to push this :D

Not been around much due to the Christmas period so not got too far with it yet. However Im off between Christmas and new year so will have a good chance to push this :D
Thanks, Marc.
I'll wait, as I know that you do things well
wink.png

Sorry guys, not really had chance to get back to this since christmas due to work commitments. Struggling with the adding of the forums into the xenforo structure due to the left and right offsets. I fully understand what these are as I use similar methods in my own development however I usually calculate the values using stored procedures in sql server, which unfortunatly is a luxury I dont have here. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Top Bottom