IPB 3.2 - Early Beta Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's certainly not like XenForo is the first to have a like system. It was, after all, started by Facebook - unless they got it from somewhere else. :rolleyes:

Well, it's certainly not like XenForo is the first to have a like system. It was, after all, started by Facebook - unless they got it from somewhere else. :rolleyes:
Indeed. There will always be copycats....and that's a good thing. Keeps people thinking creatively to produce something better than the competition.

Have no idea were the LIKE feature came from in XenForo first. I don't use Facebook to know it even has a LIKE option.

Why does everyone think that "alerts" or "notifications" is something XF started? We've had notifications with IPB for quite some time. With all the feedback, they are changing the options for notifications.

The like button can be argued to be taken from vBSEO adding it to vB...and they stole it from fb.

I do, however, like the way XF's like button is compared to that of IPB's.

@PEGGY - You may not have said compare IPB v1 to XF v1, but I know someone did in this thread which is why I put it in my post. Sorry if you thought it was aimed at you in my last reply.

Why does everyone think that "alerts" or "notifications" is something XF started? We've had notifications with IPB for quite some time. With all the feedback, they are changing the options for notifications.

The like button can be argued to be taken from vBSEO adding it to vB...and they stole it from fb.

@PEGGY - You may not have said compare IPB v1 to XF v1, but I know someone did in this thread which is why I put it in my post. Sorry if you thought it was aimed at you in my last reply.

XenForo doesn't claim to be the inventor of those ideas... it's just how it actually came through and integrated it flawlessly.

The "like" in IPB 3.2 isn't new - underneath it's the same old reputation system they have always had in 3.x series.

Previously there was a green circle with a " + " sign in it. You click it to +1 someone's post. Hover over it and it shows who's +1'd the post.

All they've done for 3.2 is change the way it's skinned; it's now a "like" button and the list of +1's (or likes) is alongside the button. You also now (in 3.2) get a notification of someone "liking" your post.

Having said that, you don't have a trophy system and you don't have a "tally" of likes like you do with XF so it's not a complete - theft, if at all, since "liking" was popularised by FB before XF.

The editor is new, and so is the skin and some of the ways it works, but for me it's just a "better" 3.1 - a sexier, faster, more logical and less cluttered 3.1 :ROFLMAO:

Like it or not, we are a very small development team doing our best to compete with much larger rivals. Some of that competition is friendly, some distinctly less so. While we develop fast, a great deal of time is spent developing features before any code is written. Often, the amount of time spent writing code is a fraction of the actual development time for a feature. As a result, in order to maintain a competitive edge, it is necessary to keep the development of certain features close to our chest, in order to prevent rivals from benefiting from work we have done before we are able to do so. You only need look at what our competitors have done since the appearance of XenForo to see that this is true.

This just gives more credibility as to why there hasn't been a roadmap presented (y).

aww man here we go with the fanboy stuff again. Can't someone be passionate about something without being labeled a fanboy or one of the many other silly names
people come up with?

I haven't seen anyone say that XF was the first for any of these features that are very obviously did not originate with XenForo. At least if they did, I missed it. :p

I stand corrected. Thanks hun.

No, but many of the fanboys here seem to think XF was the first.

Nobody said xenforo was first to implement a like system. Now you mentioned it they were the first to implement it on a forum product as standard.

edit: beat me to it peggy. I dunno, people nowadays read what they want to read and should out fanboys because of the growing trend.

I don't see the big deal about this copying thing now all of a sudden, it was going on between IPB and vBulletin for a long time beforehand, most of you know this coming from vBulletin or IPB. It's not something that's only just started happening.

I don't see the big deal about this copying thing now all of a sudden, it was going on between IPB and vBulletin for a long time beforehand, most of you know this coming from vBulletin or IPB. It's not something that's only just started happening.
Exactly.

Yes but it is rubbish... and so bloody annoying, even after you read a PM or took action, they just kept building... arghghgghghgghghghg... horrible horrible system.

Exactly the same with the IPB Rep system, it was horrible, and no one ever used it. Likes are so much more intuitive, and generate a lot more usage.. as IPB have discovered by observing Xenforo very closely.

My comments earlier that got a few in a tizz about the version numbers were not literal comparisons... sheez! I was referring to the state of the Organisation at that time, I can tell you that at the time of 1.0.0 IPB was not a big player, many thought we were insane to be switching from vBulletin to it. And now 9 years down the track they are a major player, some might argue THE major player in commercial forum software.

For those wondering, yes the admin panel has been redone as well.... if you like the front end you will like the back end too..... and no I can't provide any screen shots... but I have been playing with it for a few weeks and it's a big improvement just like the front end.

and for all the haters out there... let's focus our hatred on vb will ya? no need to knock IPB nor XF as they are both great forums and ran by great people. If you have to hate, point it to vb since most of us were screwed over by them at some point in time. :)

Yes but it is rubbish... and so bloody annoying, even after you read a PM or took action, they just kept building... arghghgghghgghghghg... horrible horrible system.

Exactly the same with the IPB Rep system, it was horrible, and no one ever used it. Likes are so much more intuitive, and generate a lot more usage.. as IPB have discovered by observing Xenforo very closely.

My comments earlier that got a few in a tizz about the version numbers were not literal comparisons... sheez! I was referring to the state of the Organisation at that time, I can tell you that at the time of 1.0.0 IPB was not a big player, many thought we were insane to be switching from vBulletin to it. And now 9 years down the track they are a major player, some might argue THE major player in commercial forum software.

As with most things, your notifications are just what you ask for... there are many options when and if to recieve any or all of them... it's all a choice!

Sometimes you really have to literally spell it out to people hence my comment they missed your and peggy's point. What ever happened to common sense? god almighty. :barefoot:

Reactions: Kim
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom