XF 1.2 ipad/iphone home screen icon is Xenforo instead of mine!

craigiri

Users have reported that whereas before, the "home screen" bookmark to my site was a picture of the page, it is now the blue xenforo logo.

I tried it on my iphone and they are correct.

I already tried following some web instructions and putting a specially named icon in the root and xf directory.

Does anyone know where this icon is coming from?

Reference: http://www.apple.com/ios/add-to-home-screen/

I have done both of the above.....maybe it's cached (the logo.og.png).....

I will check it later. It's strange that the apple-touch-icon.png didn't work. The file is there....

I checked everywhere else on the site and the proper icon (the one I put with the apple name) is coming up. It's only in the XF directory where the XF one is coming up.

It must be somehow tied to the XF script.....maybe .htaccess or something deeper.

Can anyone else try this on their copy so we can see if it's something (a bug) in XF 1.2.1

Don't think that is the problem. It would downsize it - according to the instructions you can make one bigger one and it will resize for all pads and phones (retina, etc.).

Your right.

However I just tried it on my iPad 4 and it used your icon to create the "Add to Home Screen" button. So it's working fine as far as I can tell.

Since XenForo 1.2 the touch icon is specified in the PAGR_CONTAINER template.

This will override whatever icon you may have placed in the root.

It gets the value from the style property for the open graph Facebook logo.

Either edit the template with the desired path or just ensure the ogLogoPath property points to it.

Since XenForo 1.2 the touch icon is specified in the PAGR_CONTAINER template.

This will override whatever icon you may have placed in the root.

It gets the value from the style property for the open graph Facebook logo.

Either edit the template with the desired path or just ensure the ogLogoPath property points to it.

I just looked at my PAGE_CONTAINER template it it appears at some point I commented out that line like this:

Code:
<!-- delete default icon -->
<!--   
   <link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="{xen:helper fullurl, @ogLogoPath, 1}" />
-->

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.
Seems like something which should be fixed, though, consider the amount of mobile users. Hopefully, if they feel so, one of the staff will move to bug reports, etc.

Changed Facebook style path to:
../apple-touch-icon.png

and it seems to work.

Last edited:
It'd be marked as designed. Any owner should update their logo.og.png, so the mobile users (I've never actually added a website to my home screen) would be taken care of as well as Facebook.

Top Bottom