Invision Power Board Forum vs XenForo

jchan24

Has anyone hear tried Invision Power Board?
What would be the negatives of using Invision versus XenForo?

I'm just trying to compare and get some feedback.

Thanks All!

Thanks All!
I would highly recommend taking this to a neutral third party board. You're likely to get more objective answers.

You will more than likely hear more pro-XF answers, which is to be expected.

Thanks All!

I have owned a forum run on each.

Invision has many more features for projects which require the benefits of their plugins. Also, in my opinion, there are more options to add or take away certain features with Invision. Using Invision is great from an admin standpoint. Nonetheless, Xenforo is much more smooth and works like a charm for users.

If you need features and don't want to add anything to you site by changing code IPB might be a good idea.

If your project does not have huge need for features, go with Xenforo. Xenforo is a much better user experience and I believe the features will come in due time.

Invision's current incarnation is quite bloated in my experience and runs a lot slower than XenForo. Otherwise, there are no major downsides unless you plan to develop or it in which case XF is also easier.
Xenforo seems to run more smoothly throughout.

IPB has the best admin panel I ever used. I love their search system in the admin panel as it brings up the right answer to any issue you put it. It was really well done.

IPB has the best admin panel I ever used. I love their search system in the admin panel as it brings up the right answer to any issue you put it. It was really well done.
Congratulations, you are the first person that I am aware of, who said their administrator panel was easy to use and well organized

There is an entire thread called, "Forum software that just doesn't feel "right" " on The Admin Zone. It's 3 going onto 4 pages long and at this time, the majority (thus far) list IPB (including their AdminCP)

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104878

I don't know this to be true (not having ever used IPB, but having read many folks' experiences), but, I think their cost is much higher (though, this may be "apples and elephants" comparison, based on various plug-ins or upgrades available on IPB).

I never really liked the UI/ "feel" of IPB, but there are a lot of folks and boards the like and use it. I think you need to compare your needs and the utility of either software. My vote, of course, goes with XF.

Xenforo seems to run more smoothly throughout.

Personally I find the IPB 's Acp bloat and a little messy. But I agree about its live search option. It is a good one.

On the other hand, imho xenforo is much better and superior than Ipb on both fronts, forum and acp. It is much easier to understand and manage from an admin point of view and it gives a very nice experience on a user 's point of view as well.

To the OP, go with XenForo, you won''t regret it.

Last edited:
If you need to make a decision soon, try the software demos:
Also as @ManagerJosh has mentioned there is little point to ask about this here. If you ask the same question at the IPS Support Forums you will probably get opposite answers in comparisition.

Otherwise if you are not in a hurry, I recommend waiting for IPS 4.0 release before you make a decision.

If you need to make a decision soon, try the software demos:
Also as @ManagerJosh has mentioned there is little point to ask about this here. If you ask the same question at the IPS Support Forums you will probably get opposite answers in comparisition.

Otherwise if you are not in a hurry, I recommend waiting for IPS 4.0 release before you make a decision.
I agree - IPS 4.0 does look promising. Having used both IPB2 and 3 myself, I would say I get lost at the ACP at times. The ACP they showed looked quite nice, and the Application Market is something I think many admins will appreciate.

Code-wise, in IPB4 they copied XenForo's monkey patching (although how IPB3 plugin works is really a distant memory for me) with quite a lot of improvements on making developer's lives easier (especially rhe JavaScript framework). Hopefully XenForo 2 will catch up :)

Look at what they have to say about their SEO:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/396107-ip-apps-or-xenforo/

Are sitemaps really that important still?

The only thing that interests me is the following:

• Search engine tracking, including referrals from search engines, for logging and statistical purposes
  • The ability to apply a specific skin to the guest group (i.e. if you wanted to use something stripped down for guests, which includes search engines)

I changed 'threads' to 'topic' in my Route Filters though after skimming their forum. Topic sounds better.

Top Bottom