Import from Invision Power Board

LoveIsLove

I have a small community where I can no longer justify the high renewal cost of up-keeping my current subscription with Invision Power Services Inc. Is it possible to import the latest version of Invision Power Board into the latest version of xenForo? Finally, how often must you new your licensing with xenForo to continuously remain using the most current version?

In the interest of full disclosure, I am also researching your competitor, WoltLab. How would you say you compare to WoltLab?

WoltLab allows me to download and try their software before buying it. Does xenForo offer such? I have a lot of questions but I presume they would be easily answered by trying it before purchase. Is that possible or should I just hit you with a bunch of questions at once?

WoltLab allows me to try their software before buying it. Does xenForo offer such? I have a lot of questions but I presume they would be easily answered by trying it before purchase. Is that possible or should I just hit you with a bunch of questions at once?
You can set up a demo site - https://xenforo.com/demo/

Not sure if it's XF 1 or XF 2, but you can contact support to have them set up the version you wish to use if both are not available.

You can set up a demo site - https://xenforo.com/demo/

Not sure if it's XF 1 or XF 2, but you can contact support to have them set up the version you wish to use if both are not available.
I am sorry. I edited my post before your reply. Completely my fault. Sorry. What I am seeking is an actual download as a demo would tell me nothing about the server side configuration and general logistics. Is that possible or should I try my best to have someone here answer my questions?

I am sorry. I edited my post before your reply. Completely my fault. Sorry. What I am seeking is an actual download as a demo would tell me nothing about the server side configuration and general logistics. Is that possible or should I try my best to have someone here answer my questions?
There is a test script here to let you know if your server is OK for xenForo - https://xenforo.com/xenforo-requirements-test.zip

XenForo System Requirements
  • PHP: 5.4.0+
  • MySQL: 5.5+
  • PHP extensions: MySQLi, GD (with JPEG support), PCRE, cURL, SPL, SimpleXML, DOM, JSON, iconv, ctype
  • Common PHP functions must not be disabled
If you need hosting recommendations, let me know.

OK. After doing some reading I can see the answer is no, you cannot download an actual copy to try out, as opposed to WoltLab where I can do so. I guess that I will have to work around that and stick to general questions.

I do not want hot-linking on my site but I also do not want to prevent people from sharing photos. My compromise that I was able to do elsewhere was anytime someone typed in this

Code:
 [img] example.com/photo.jpg [/img]

It would be replaced with

Code:
 [URL] example.com/photo.jpg [/URL]

So you could link to an image but you could not hotlink directly. This method was a good compromise and was also very user-friendly with no warnings or error messages to discourage people with. ;) Is there a way to do this in xenForo?

Another question I have is whether or not xenForo is compatible with WordPress.

I have WordPress installed in my site's root directly /and WoltLab is installed in a sub-folder /community/ When making my .htaccess file I notice merging them always results in an internal server error. I would like to continue using both but it would appear the rewrite riles together are incompatible.

Would there be an issue with xenForo? Attached is my .htaccess file for WordPress and if anyone could try to merge this with their own and see if that is a problem or not, I would be very appreciative.

Attachments

If you don't want a sub directory to inherit the htaccess directives of the root htaccess you can use the directory directive to create rules per directory.

Code:
<Directory "/home/youruser/public_html/">
# Wordpress Stuff
</Directory>

<Directory "/home/youruser/public_html/community/">
# Xenforo Stuff
</Directory>

If you don't want a sub directory to inherit the htaccess directives of the root htaccess you can use the directory directive to create rules per directory.

Code:
<Directory "/home/youruser/public_html/">
# Wordpress Stuff
</Directory>

<Directory "/home/youruser/public_html/community/">
# Xenforo Stuff
</Directory>
I think I am leaning toward xenForo. I asked this question on WoltLab's own support forum and was basically ignored for nearly 2 days. I ask this question here on xenForo and has an answer within minutes.

I am starting to assume that the people at WoltLab are prejudice against anyone who does not natively speak German. As a polite courtesy, I tried to speak German over there and was told to shut up as my translation was offensive to them. I tried to speak English which is not my native language but is supposedly supported at WoltLab and was ignored. Coincidentally I have also been posting Chinese on another software site and although I am not native in Chinese they too do not ignore me and are glad I make the effort.

I just wish xenForo now was not as costly. :p

Would that work on a shared host and would that not give away my username there? Can that be done without providing the full server path?

Would that work on a shared host and would that not give away my username there? Can that be done without providing the full server path?

It is almost guaranteed to work on a shared host as long as they don't disable any directives, which would be unusual.

The .htaccess file cannot be viewed by anyone but you so would not give anything away but I'm pretty sure relative paths will work too, I've just never used them myself.

i realy hate shared host but for now becouse forum is small i stay on it, my suggestion to everyone never buy shared host, better add 50$ for VPS, you preserve your nerves.
I really cannot justify the cost of a site that only ever had 50 guests and that was a year ago. My site is mostly informational and the community is more of an extra add-on. The community is active as everyone does reply to each other but they are hardly ever online at the same time. I think the most people logged in at the same time was 10 people. It really is a small site.

Please excuse my English.

It is almost guaranteed to work on a shared host as long as they don't disable any directives, which would be unusual.

The .htaccess file cannot be viewed by anyone but you so would not give anything away but I'm pretty sure relative paths will work too, I've just never used them myself.
Thank so very much for taking the time to reply to my inquiry. You have been most helpful.

I am starting to assume that the people at WoltLab are prejudice against anyone who does not natively speak German.
It's an issue that many English only speakers have observed. I have a copy of Wotlab and I no longer use it - mainly because the forum support was not equivalent to what you get here or even over on the IPS site (at least they told you to submit a ticket).

Top Bottom