Fixed invalid UTF-8 error when importing from vb4

Hi,

I was importing a VB 4.x database into XF 2.0, I got the following error:

InvalidArgumentException: Received invalid UTF-8 for string column [username] in src/XF/Import/Data/EntityEmulator.php at line 79

I deleted the users with special characters in their user names in the original database and tried a few new imports, but the error is still there. Can anybody help? Thanks very much.

It would be interesting to know a little more about your source database so I can try to prevent these errors in future - as you had this error on the user table, would you please run this query against your user table and post back the results for me?
SQL:
SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'user'
(assuming that your user table doesn't have a prefix - if it does, just add it)

I believe we have identified a potential cause for this and have worked around it for 2.0.1.

Downloaded 2.0.1, had the same problem today:

InvalidArgumentException: Received invalid UTF-8 for string column [username] in src/XF/Import/Data/EntityEmulator.php at line 79.

Importing ~140,000 users from vBulletin 4. Character set on the user table is Latin1; running a script to check, about 200 of the usernames do not match UTF-8 via mb_check_encoding().

Tried import with ISO-8859-1, Latin1, and UTF-8 character sets, failed each time with the above.

Is there anyway that you can send me a dump of the usernames and I'll see if I can manage to reproduce this? We had a test case for this and the changes did fix it, but it's possible there are other situations that could trigger it.

Top Bottom