Lack of interest Intuitive flood system

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
F

Floris

Currently it seems the flood system is only splitting staff from users, where if a user posts within x seconds they get a popup.

However, this feature is solely (in my opinion) to stop flooders, spammers, etc from abusing the forums.

Regulars, premium members, and such are known in the community, experienced, and if they would be flooding nonsense and spamming - then the mods would have (should have) stepped in already.

Therefor I think it's punishment for those who know what they're doing, and a bit invalid. The easy way is to of course request to have this limit per group. However, I believe a more intuitive anti-flood system might be more enjoyable.

I am thinking of say, a grace-% for those over x, y, or z postcount, for certain usergroups perhaps. So those who are just active, helping out a lot on sites, writing and replying to newbie content, and what not, don't get bothered ~much~ by the x seconds flood limit, but if there's a second or two left to go, and they qualify, the grace % would not complain to them, and give them an exception. To avoid abuse of this, the % gets added to the next post, or at least reset it to the normal time. This should catch the flooders still, but those few times you are just a second away - the system smiles at you and lets your post go through.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Personally, I think flood control is a bit useless anyway. Spambots will still spam your board even if they have to wait 20 seconds between each post, so that's not really useful. You could also just set your flood control to a lower amount (like 10 sec), most people won't notice that as much.

This is exactly why sites, such as YouTube and Facebook, use CAPTCHAs as well. Unfortunately, simply being logged in doesn't guarantee the user is legit. That's not to say nothing ever gets past CAPTCHAs either.

I agree with a graceful flood system, however I think it shouldn't kick in till after a few posts (1-3 posts). As for comparing a forum to Youtube and Facebook; its highly doubtful we'll deal with the level of spam they will, as most of the spam bots that I have seen (At least with my forums) already delay a minute or so so they don't deal with flood delay.

I would love to see this implemented... So a user with 0-100 posts has to way 2min between posts, a user with 100-500 1min... user with 500-1000 30seconds... user with 1000-1500 10seconds and 1500+ no flood limit...

No these specific numbers but you get the idea... Basically means you more active members don't have to wait between replying to posts after all you don't want to slow them down when they are filling your site with content for you.

I like the idea, but I don't see the need to break it down into so many tiers. It could be much simpler:
< 250 posts = 30 seconds
>250 posts = no flood limit

Top Bottom