Interview with Shawn Hogan (Digital Point)

Ah sod it, just go down each of your addons and explain what they do / how they do it differently from default / other addons :D
I'm sure a lot of them do the same thing as existing add-ons. There are a few reasons I built all my own from scratch though. Partially because I needed to *really* learn the guts of XenForo since I'm also building a ton of my own custom stuff on top of it, so it was a good way to do that. Also, I have trust issues and that's the same reason I built all our stuff for vBulletin rather than use other's add-ons. I've found that sometimes add-ons aren't really designed to scale well and just aren't designed for large/high traffic or maybe they have security issues that pop up later. In the time I takes me to dig through other people's code to make sure it's all good, I probably could have written it myself... and as an added bonus have ti do *exactly* what I want.

lol I knew it was an import. I actually did read some posts in here. Didn't you say you got it to where it only takes 30 minutes now?
Yeah... it's like 31-35 minutes currently, but that's also doing it against a live site/DB servers. I suspect it will be a little faster when you do it for real and actually lock users out. :)

Are planning to release your new portal system?
Really doubtful on that one... XenPorta is really good and does a *lot* more than what mine does.

I'm sure a lot of them do the same thing as existing add-ons. There are a few reasons I built all my own from scratch though. Partially because I needed to *really* learn the guts of XenForo since I'm also building a ton of my own custom stuff on top of it, so it was a good way to do that. Also, I have trust issues and that's the same reason I built all our stuff for vBulletin rather than use other's add-ons. I've found that sometimes add-ons aren't really designed to scale well and just aren't designed for large/high traffic or maybe they have security issues that pop up later. In the time I takes me to dig through other people's code to make sure it's all good, I probably could have written it myself... and as an added bonus have ti do *exactly* what I want.

Yeah... it's like 31-35 minutes currently, but that's also doing it against a live site/DB servers. I suspect it will be a little faster when you do it for real and actually lock users out. :)

What edits did you make to the MCE btw? There are some irritating bits in it id like to get fixed..

What edits did you make to the MCE btw? There are some irritating bits in it id like to get fixed..
Just a few minor things here and there (probably most notably it doesn't muck whitespace/tabs in WYSIWYG mode)... Which was huge for me since I post so much code. I still hate TinyMCE though.

I'm hoping it's more of a stopgap until TinyMCE is just replaced in the core. lol

Just a few minor things here and there (probably most notably it doesn't muck whitespace/tabs in WYSIWYG mode)... Which was huge for me since I post so much code. I still hate TinyMCE though.

I'm hoping it's more of a stopgap until TinyMCE is just replaced in the core. lol

Last question.... promise (fingers crossed).

your directory addon, any screenies?

Damn I want to see your xenforo now. You have the most modified xenforo on the face of the planet. I would seriously start posting on your site frequently and actually use it's services.

Last question.... promise (fingers crossed).

your directory addon, any screenies?
INCREDIBLY basic (like couldn't possibly be more basic). Just a port of this: http://directory.digitalpoint.com/

Just allows premium members to list one site in the directory from their settings.

Image%202012.08.07%2011:27:42%20AM.png

The only reason I even did it was because I didn't want to listen to existing users complain they lost their directory listing.

Damn I want to see your xenforo now. You have the most modified xenforo on the face of the planet. I would seriously start posting on your site frequently and actually use it's services.
Well internally, I probably have one of the most modified vBulletin's too (450+ plug-ins I wrote for it, in addition to the "big" stuff that are complete tools/products built on top of it's framework).

I'm really hoping you release the vBulletin 4 importer to the community, freely.

I would be nice to be able to hand over the importer project to someone else. I've updated it a little and cleared out some things, but mostly for the time being I've left it "as is".

But I would like to know when that happens, it will be available to everyone who purchases XenForo, not adding to the cost of switching to XenForo.

(Doesn't believe people should have to pay to import. Kind of hard line on that)

Huh? What medicine is that? I don't get pissed off at people for not doing something fast enough on their site that really doesn't affect me. lol

And I don't snarl at anyone that asks. But if people start acting like we somehow owe them a definitive answer about when exactly (or even IF for that matter), then yeah... I don't really have much to say. If *I* knew, I could say, but since I don't... and I'm not a psychic. We are far more interested in something being done right/well than something being done by a certain date. If my *actual* best answer for a question is "I don't know", and that answer isn't good enough for whoever is asking, I'm not sure what else to say. I could make something up, but then I would be lying. {shrug}

I've never said anything other than we would not move to XenForo unless we were ready (again... mostly meaning we don't lose existing site functionality). If you (or anyone else) would like to assist, great. :)

Well, I did ask you a few weeks ago on DP, and the reply didn't seem that nice you know. Perception is how people see you, not what you do for the community, but how you treat others. Now I know I don't need to tell someone with such a digital footprint and legacy here on the web that but I did feel it would highlight my point of perception. I would assist you on DP if you had need, I happen to like that site (there's way t0o many scammers FYI) but I have built my small community company off the DP Marketplace lol.

lol DP and his mods can be pretty strict sometimes. One of his mods was so mean to me I stopped posting.

I think they are like that because of the amount of spammers that join the site so they just go gung ho on instinct.

I'm really hoping you release the vBulletin 4 importer to the community, freely.

I would be nice to be able to hand over the importer project to someone else. I've updated it a little and cleared out some things, but mostly for the time being I've left it "as is".

But I would like to know when that happens, it will be available to everyone who purchases XenForo, not adding to the cost of switching to XenForo.

(Doesn't believe people should have to pay to import. Kind of hard line on that)
The most likely scenario is I'll just release it with some sort of notice saying it's absolutely unsupported and hopefully some competent developers will pick it up, clean it up, make it a little more universal, etc. I don't mind letting other's use it for free, it's just when the support they need starts taking up so much of my time that I can't get my own stuff done. Like I don't have the time to be holding people's hands to recompile PHP if they don't have PCNTL extensions compiled in... and at the same time, it seems like a waste of time to make the importer slower so it can be more compatible for people without the PCNTL extensions. Basically I didn't *want* to make an importer, I more or less *had* to, so first and foremost it's for me. :)

If others can use it, great... but I'm not going to spend all my time trying to help people make it work in their unique environment (not even as a paid consultant... I simply don't have the time). :)

Well, I did ask you a few weeks ago on DP, and the reply didn't seem that nice you know. Perception is how people see you, not what you do for the community, but how you treat others. Now I know I don't need to tell someone with such a digital footprint and legacy here on the web that but I did feel it would highlight my point of perception. I would assist you on DP if you had need, I happen to like that site (there's way t0o many scammers FYI) but I have built my small community company off the DP Marketplace lol.
There are a lot of scammers unfortunately. We are rolling out some additional things soon to curb them even further... but the reality is that the larger you are, the bigger the target you have on your back for scammers, spammers, etc.

As far as asking about it, I have no clue... Probably caught me in a bad mood or something. There certainly is a point where people asking the same question literally hundreds of times gets tiresome. Then if you say you *are* doing something, you just get bombed every few minutes with people asking, "Is it done yet?" It's tolerable on a smallerish site but when you are dealing with hundreds of thousands of users, even if 1 in 100 ask the question, that's thousands of people asking the same question that in all likelihood you can't give an answer for even if you wanted to.

lol DP and his mods can be pretty strict sometimes. One of his mods was so mean to me I stopped posting.

I think they are like that because of the amount of spammers that join the site so they just go gung ho on instinct.
You have no idea... This is what a forum looks like to mods/admins with all the crap we have to delete...

Image%202012.08.07%2012:48:58%20PM.png

Welcome to being the biggest site in your industry and being the #1 spam target because of it. :)

wow, that is a quite impressive list of Add-ons.

do you mind of giving a screenshot of the "Directory"?

I would love to purchase such an Add-on..... :)

Many thanks!
The directory thing is really stupid. As I mentioned earlier, it was ONLY done to not have to deal with users complaining it's gone now. I'd be happy just chucking it myself.

Just a quick unrelated question, the forum site the article is on, the admin is called GTB. Is that the same MR-GTB that used to post on here. The one that deletes his sites all the time.

The most likely scenario is I'll just release it with some sort of notice saying it's absolutely unsupported and hopefully some competent developers will pick it up, clean it up, make it a little more universal, etc. I don't mind letting other's use it for free, it's just when the support they need starts taking up so much of my time that I can't get my own stuff done. Like I don't have the time to be holding people's hands to recompile PHP if they don't have PCNTL extensions compiled in... and at the same time, it seems like a waste of time to make the importer slower so it can be more compatible for people without the PCNTL extensions. Basically I didn't *want* to make an importer, I more or less *had* to, so first and foremost it's for me. :)

If others can use it, great... but I'm not going to spend all my time trying to help people make it work in their unique environment (not even as a paid consultant... I simply don't have the time). :)

If that's the case... When ready and if willing.....

Post it here
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/vbulletin-4-to-xenforo-importer.256/

And I and a few other people will work in it from there.

The current release is really a patch job of what has been already released, merged into a single project, and then cleaned up a little. It works flawlessly (which we can all be proud of), but it is missing some things.

If yours is more complete and you don't want to "hold people's hands" ..... We could take over what you have and continue it as free open source and add your name to the growing list of developers.

How many hours a day, on average, do you estimate you spend coding/working on your online interests Shawn?

How many hours a day, on average, do you estimate you spend coding/working on your online interests Shawn?
There's really no set schedule. I tend to work in waves. If I'm really into something (enjoying/having fun with it), I'll work 16 hours/day on it. Then one day I'll wake up, and be like, "You know... I don't feel like doing anything today... Or the next month."

Thankfully without having customers or doing consulting or doing work for others, I can do that since I have no deadlines or anything. I'm always more interested in doing something right than doing something by a certain date.

I do what I do because I enjoy it, and I would do it for free as a hobby. So it's not even really "work". Some people watch TV to unwind, I code.

You what?????
Expect to see screenshots by dinner today :)
I think it's doneish. Added a 3rd type of content it can handle, doing pagination properly, finished the admin interface to add/delete/edit from there, etc.

Like I said before, I really had no use for a ton of features... but I might add some sort of highlight block at the top where you can highlight certain items. {shrug} Either way, it works as is for now.

Now if only the Twitter API didn't error out on Twitter's side 85% of the time. lol

Top Bottom