1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interview with IB Adrian @ ForumPromotion.net

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jonathan, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

Internet Brands Senior Operations Manager Adrian Harris is interviewed by Forum Promotion.

Check out the questions relating to XenForo

Now let's ask a few questions about your newest competitor. Do you plan to update ImpEx for XenForo -> vBulletin conversion?
    There are hundreds of forum software’s out there, we typically provide Impex support for those that have the greatest market need. If there is a need for a xenForo to vBulletin converter we certainly will provide it.

Recently you published some details about a lawsuit against XenForo. Why did you make the information regarding the lawsuit public, did publishing the information actually work to promote XF?
    We made the information public so to inform our customers. We have made a concerted effort recently to be more transparent in how we interact with our customers, and sharing details such as these goes in part with this policy. I acknowledge that this attempt to be more open may expose us to being the recipients of a greater level of criticism in the court of public opinion, however we feel that ultimately that approach is in the best interests of our customers.

Many vBulletin users actually oppose the lawsuit. Do you think it's actually bad for business?
    I can understand the sentiment expressed by some of our users. It is difficult to comment on its affect on our business until an agreement or verdict is reached, and I think that myself, or anyone else forming an opinion before the court does would be jumping to conclusions.

Rob Fritz likes this.
  2. Mattie Num Nums

Mattie Num Nums Active Member

Transparent ey? Why now?
  3. Deceptor

Deceptor Active Member

Somehow I don't see much demand for a XF->vB converter, but who knows!
  4. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

Funny or Die by Will Farrell. :D
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

Maybe IB has learned from some of their mistakes... and realize they have no choice but to interact with customers
  6. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Will vBulletin 5 be a complete rewrite? When can we expect to see it?
    vB5 will not be a “complete rewrite” per se, a significant portion of the code will be refactored

Why am I not surprised, vB5 will be another vB3, IMO. :)
  7. Robert F Schmitz

Robert F Schmitz Well-Known Member

LOL I just copied and was ready to make the same post. You beat me to it.

to resemble??? :p
  8. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

LOL, well I conducted the interview - haha!
    Rob Fritz likes this.
  9. jasetaro

jasetaro Well-Known Member

Something I just scraped off the bottom of my shoe? :p
    anotheralias and Rob Fritz like this.
  10. Robert F Schmitz

Robert F Schmitz Well-Known Member

v4 isn't even out of beta yet and already talk about v5.
    AzzidReign and Rene like this.
  11. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

I wish we could have a moratorium on all things vBulletin.
    Reading about XenForo on vBulletin is as old as reading about vBulletin here.
    Does it really make everyone feel better?
    I will try to refrain from replying in the future.
    anotheralias, Jethro and Sagar like this.
  12. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

The plan is to make vB5 something completely different, so it should be discussed
  13. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

Damn! I couldn't stay away.
    anotheralias likes this.
  14. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

and XF should only be discussed here ;)

Fact is, they are interconnected by recent history, so there will always be talk of one on the others site.
    Rene, Jethro and jmurrayhead like this.
  15. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

Well.. all forum software communities discuss other platforms.
  16. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Generally it's keep in check by the moderators to some extent however. Remember 40%, from a poll published here, of Xenforo members weren't IB customers, guess that might have gone down some by now :)
  17. aculate

aculate Well-Known Member

vB 5.0 ?!? seriously, who's going to fall for that one again! I got tricked once.... i've learned my lesson. What a joke!
    AzzidReign and Rene like this.
  18. DoctorWatsOn

DoctorWatsOn Well-Known Member

Corrected for you:

Maybe IB has learned from some of their mistakes... and realize think they have no choice but to interact with customers carry on making mistakes in order to learn more.

DaKat likes this.
  19. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

"Refactored", they really do love that word don't they? heh
  20. DoctorWatsOn

DoctorWatsOn Well-Known Member

Maybe they feel they can’t do a complete re-write because they could face legal action from xF for stealing their idea. ;)