Internet Detox

DRE

Been trying to detox from the internet to rearrange my priorities and better my time management. I go to work, I go home, watch movies, read, work on my book and try not to surf the net. Internet detox has been extremely hard for me especially since I have apps on my iPhone I can play with. I read that George R.R. Martin has to write in dos so that he doesn't get distracted. During this phase in my life I've noticed several things:

1. I'm bored alot.
2. Doing stuff outside makes time go by faster.
3. I want a hybrid. To cure boredom there are places I wanna go, but these gas prices are outrageous.
4. I drink more water than I used to.
5. I don't think about stuff on the internet.

About number 5, one thing that I do think about is 'What's New?' 'What's going on?' My thirst for knowledge doesn't stop. The only thing that could help with that would be paper media such as a newspaper or something like an encyclopedia britannica, but that's too much work. Although I'm trying to detox from the internet and change my habits, some things I will not change. I still read random articles in Wikipedia. I use Feedly on my Mac and iPhone for the latest news. I'm still connected, there's just one thing missing. The Cyber Me. I rarely create, share or discuss things anymore. I decided if I'm going to do those things I might as well get paid for it.

Have any of you ever had to internet detox before and how did it go?

How about reading books? Have you tried that?

You will learn things, but often of a more timeless nature than internet news...

I can give you a reading suggestion list if you like....

I'm not going detox until this body and mind expires. I think there are two kinds of internet people in this world - those who use content and those who create it (and use it). I see you as more of the second type - and, as more people become users without adding to the content, those who do become even more valuable.

I think you need to keep up with the creation, but focus on things that are lasting. As far as the discussion, I find it best to limit that - although it can be addicting. So many ignorant people - so little time!

:)

But these days I try to measure whether or not my discussions are actually changing any minds (mine or theirs) or teaching anyone anything. If not, I chalk the hour or so a day up to entertainment. I don't watch TV or listen to the radio so I am entitled...:p

Yeah I read books @craigiri

Woops. Backslid and made a palestine/black liberation color theme for another site.

Screen Shot 2014-07-19 at 9.23.47 PM.webp

I found that when I was forced without internet for a couple of months, the things I'd miss the most were things like (new) music, wikipedia to quickly look something up, travel planners, online payments and stuff like that. Less so stuff like forums which were pretty easy to forget about.

I can easily live without the www... I actually love not going online for weeks at a time. My wife forces me to have a phone so she can ring me... otherwise I wouldn't carry the thing around, period... which kind off defeats the purpose of mobile... but I hate this 24/7 connected nonsense.

I can easily live without the www... I actually love not going online for weeks at a time. My wife forces me to have a phone so she can ring me... otherwise I wouldn't carry the thing around, period... which kind off defeats the purpose of mobile... but I hate this 24/7 connected nonsense.

Give in to the Internet and use it 24/7. :D

I do a little surfing every now and then (mainly to read up on things that interest me or to do some shopping), but since I sold my business and committed to spending less time online I've been much happier...there's so much more to life than wasting one's time in front of a screen (to me, at least). I found forums the easiest to leave behind...too much drama and whatnot.

Have any of you ever had to internet detox before and how did it go?

At the begin of June I went on vacation for 2 weeks and I never went online for the whole time. The first few days was a little getting used to, but after that I did not miss it at all. I was so freshened up and relaxed.

At the begin of June I went on vacation for 2 weeks and I never went online for the whole time. The first few days was a little getting used to, but after that I did not miss it at all. I was so freshened up and relaxed.
That's cause you make money online so that's more stress.

Go outside with your friend. Like camping in a mountain, or go to some island in pasific. A week of survival test in a jungle is a great idea. :D

Top Bottom