Internet Brands claims against XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see the analytics for xenforo for today, comparing the traffic today vs the past month. :lol:

I read the press release right before heading out to work. I've been thinking about it for the past nine hours. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

rocky.gif.jpeg

ADRIAN!!!!

I think XF should issue a release exclaiming how disappointed they are that "IB would stand on the shoulders of their lawyers** in an attempt to bring down a superior product."
LOL Good One!!!
** re: lawyers shoulders... as if that would get them tall enough to match XenForo. Not from what I've seen...
...The tactic is generally employed by large firms with much deeper pockets than the defendants. The strategy is to bury your opponent in legals, make them spend their money and time fighting your claims until they eventually cave under the stress and defence costs.
+1. I earlier posted in another thread citing the same all-too-common big corp behavior and goal: to deplete the smaller company's resources defending lawsuits. Fortunately, I would hope that most judges who deal with such cases are quite familiar with such a tactic.
Looking at the way this "announcement" by IB was timed and formulated, it feels to me like an act based on panic.

To the business guy ... Open up Xenforo shares for us customers to buy in

I will assure you IB will back down with its tail between its legs. I will buy 10%
1% at a time

I'm a web developer, a vbulletin forum owner, joined this site yesterday, and I'm following this drama awaiting the outcome. Honestly, I think the tactic by IB may backfire, not only in popularity (PR) but also because I would like to know how they have XenForo code to prove their claims. The issue of whether this is a frivolous lawsuit or not is important. I'm curious if any developers here left vbulletin and signed agreements not to compete?

Regardless, as an American my advice is to say: don't give up. IB MAY see their own demise.

Finally, I'm not seeing MASS adoption of VB 4 and there's a reason why VB 3.8.6 is still out there. Vbulletin is trying to protect itself because it's vulnerable RIGHT NOW.

All I can do is pass the word along about the subject matter by whatever means I use to transmit ;). Someone send IB a thank you for the free advertising. They pretty much just put XenForo on the map LOL.

To the business guy ... Open up Xenforo shares for us customers to buy in

That is most definatly not doing to happen there is nothing more destructive or worse in an organisation than shareholders.

Given that every single choice a company has to make once they have burrowed their way in, is "How can we get more money quicker for the shareholders, who do we have to screw or what ethics & morals do we have to destroy" it drives good products/teams/companies into the ground.

It would be an unmitigated disaster and thankfully from what I can guess would never happen.

I actually found xenforo via the xenforo post over at vbulletin.org. Looking good.

As for the claim, the timing is blatantly obvious. Being UK based is an advantage though, good luck with it all.

OK, well back to the original topic, I was thinking about this a bit, and it is pure speculation.

What kind of case does IB have over a "look and feel" copyright, if that's what they're going for? I can't see any other type of copyright that they could claim, as weak as it is anyway, with the hundreds of other forum packages out there that came along before vBulletin.

Is vBulletin thinking they own the plug-in/hook system, as that to me seems the only thing that could be considered "revolutionary"? But most if not all MVC systems that xenforo is built on use the idential nomenclature and features.

I just can't see what it is that IB has "copyrighted" that xenforo is using. It would seem to me that there'd be a lot of prior art out there that could be used against IB, meaning it'd be harder for IB to prove a copyright violation than it would be for xenforo to claim prior use/art, in my opinion anyway.

Mike and Kier have taken the high road to not allow IB bashing here, but IB doesn't seem to mind customers bashing their own product on their own forum, and keeping multitudes of posts revolving around the Xenforo competition, and who's moving to it. It seems strange to me.

Can you imagine if in under 12 months xenforo is larger than vB? Yesterday I would say no way. Today, I can totally see this happening.

well good thing i checked the forum again had almost bought a license of vbulletin but now i will buy a xenforo license:)

Wow, I can't quite decide whether this move by them is evil-genius clever, or plain old stupid. I'm leaning towards it being a totally misguided judgement call by someone who a) doesn't understand people, b) doesn't realise how much public opinion is already lined up against their company and therefore won't trust a word they say, and c) underestimates the intelligence of their bog standard users.

Obviously they are trying to play the public opinion. The reaction they are looking for is horror that Kier and Mike would do such a terribly misguided thing, and that righteous indignation would make us a) line up against Kier and Mike in any lawsuit, and more importantly b) not buy a copy of xf - therefore killing the company before it even becomes a major problem for vb's profits, and c) change our opinions about Mikes and Kiers integrity. But in all honesty, what their post makes me feel is ... laughter!!!!

They are obviously so desperate!! - and they just don't realise that that is exactly how most people are going to read that thread. They were clever, I had to admit, to play it like they are the nice parental type figures ... they didn't say anything overtly horrible about Kier and Mike ... just attempted to make them sound like bumbling oafs who had no concept that what they are doing is wrong - silly kids playing in a sandbox. Problem is - anyone that has EVER communicated with either of them or seen their communications on either xf or vb ... or elsewhere - can quite easily see that that's a load of codswallop!! :p

I hate that they did this when they did. They obviously were just waiting for the right moment and sent this message out like a nuke against the competition. It's a poor power play though - they're the ones that look like they're sitting in the sandbox playing war, at the end of the day!! I just hope that people who don't know better don't take their word for it that Kier and Mike did something wrong. I hope that it won't stop people buying xf licences either because a) they get scared that xf will be shut down and their money and time and energy wasted, or because b) they think they'd be doing something wrong to move to xf.

I think they're running scared, & I actually think it's likely that they've just signed their own company's death blow! They don't deserve my custom, and I hope I never have to give them a penny more - ever!

*Sticks out my tongue and blows a raspberry* :p

Edit : Just saw that people were asked not to be mean about the company - respect that move - I hope this post is ok ... mods, feel free to edit away if it crosses any lines. ;)

That is most definatly not doing to happen there is nothing more destructive or worse in an organisation that shareholders. Given that every single choice a company has to make once they have burrowed their way in, is "How can we get more money quicker for the shareholders, who do we have to screw or what ethics & morals do we have to destroy" it drives good products/teams/companies into the ground.

It would be an unmitigated disaster and thankfully from what I can guess would never happen.

Agreed.. saw it happen with IB, and It wasn't worth it! I rather see Kier and Mike have total control over major aspects of XF as a business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom