Interested in XenForo if...

Hello,

I am the administrator of an SMF forum that currently has 700k posts and 2400 registered users. I am VERY interested in xenForo, but would not necessarily be interested in purchasing a license unless a conversion from SMF 2.0 to xenForo was successful. Would xenForo be willing to offer a free temporary license or a full refund if the conversion was not successful? I would be more than willing to work with the xenForo team to ensure that their license is not misused!

Thank you for considering,

Greg

Did you check with the folks at xenFans.com if they can do the conversion?

I have looked into that in the past, but that would cost me upwards of $100. I was hoping I could attempt it myself (using the unofficial SMF 2 importer) and see how much luck I have. I am hoping that someone at XenForo would be willing to work with me... given the circumstances. Am I the first to ever request this?

I have looked into that in the past, but that would cost me upwards of $100. I was hoping I could attempt it myself (using the unofficial SMF 2 importer) and see how much luck I have. I am hoping that someone at XenForo would be willing to work with me... given the circumstances. Am I the first to ever request this?

You can try it yourself too as there will be no risk because the conversion will not edit your Smf forum. If you run into difficulties post here in the forums.

You can try it yourself too as there will be no risk because the conversion will not edit your Smf forum. If you run into difficulties post here in the forums.

i'm not sure i am understanding you correctly... my concern is that i pay for a license of xenforo and then be out $140 if i am not able to successfully import from SMF. i am not trying to rip anyone off here, but protect myself and my wallet. it's a shame there isn't a free trial or something!

i'm not sure i am understanding you correctly... my concern is that i pay for a license of xenforo and then be out $140 if i am not able to successfully import from SMF. i am not trying to rip anyone off here, but protect myself and my wallet. it's a shame there isn't a free trial or something!

What I meant is in regard to your conversion question, that you can try it yourself without being afraid of messing the live forum as that will not be touched/edited by the conversion.

What I meant is in regard to your conversion question, that you can try it yourself without being afraid of messing the live forum as that will not be touched/edited by the conversion.

Oh, thanks! I must have worded my question poorly, because that was never a concern for me. My biggest concern is that I need to first purchase the XenForo license and then attempt the conversion.

Oh, thanks! I must have worded my question poorly, because that was never a concern for me. My biggest concern is that I need to first purchase the XenForo license and then attempt the conversion.

I am sorry if I misunderstood you but that is what I gathered from your post that I will qoute below.

Anyway, about the first part of your question, I do not think that xenforo will offer a free temporary license or a full refund if the conversion was not successful.

Would it be unreasonable (and/or against your user policy) to ask for someone to give me access to the SMF importer download? I am not sure how it would work, but I imagine I would at least be able to get some indication of whether or not the conversion was successful?

What use is the importer without the XenForo software?

Asking members to bypass the systems put in place isn't really acceptable.

I don't know much about the importer, but I imagine it's a standalone application and it could give me an indication of whether or not the conversion was successful (unless it runs through XenForo, then my proposal wouldn't work). If the conversion was successful, that would give me more peace of mind about spending the $140 on XenForo. If it were not successful, then I'll know that I need to wait until a better convertor comes along.

I can't risk spending the $140 and then not have success with the SMF import.

EDIT: I now see that it is an extension and DOES require XenForo, which means I'm back at square one!

I don't know much about the importer, but I imagine it's a standalone application and it could give me an indication of whether or not the conversion was successful (unless it runs through XenForo, then my proposal wouldn't work). If the conversion was successful, that would give me more peace of mind about spending the $140 on XenForo. If it were not successful, then I'll know that I need to wait until a better convertor comes along.

I can't risk spending the $140 and then not have success with the SMF import.
XenForo is required to use the importers. I have never heard of standalone import applications that can convert without a software to convert "to".

After all, you can ask the Add-on creator or others for help if you get problems with your conversion. I am sure there will be someone who can help you.

:)

I understand that you looked into the cost of XenFans doing the conversion did you enquire as to whether or not the conversion would do what you need it to?

They quoted me at a price of approximately $100. I'm hoping for posts, usernames & passwords, and avatars. I think what I might do is buy XenForo for $140 and keep my fingers crossed that I can convert it using the unofficial SMF 2.0 importer. If I am unsuccessful, I'll pay XenFans the $100 to polish it off ;)

Top Bottom