Interested in XenForo if...

Hello,

I am the administrator of an SMF forum that currently has 700k posts and 2400 registered users. I am VERY interested in xenForo, but would not necessarily be interested in purchasing a license unless a conversion from SMF 2.0 to xenForo was successful. Would xenForo be willing to offer a free temporary license or a full refund if the conversion was not successful? I would be more than willing to work with the xenForo team to ensure that their license is not misused!

Thank you for considering,

Greg

ok, so i was able to get XAMPP installed and a localhost install of XenForo, but I had two minor issues. First, XAMPP kept telling me I successfully changed the MySQL password, but it never took effect. I ultimately decided to give up and just go with no password.

I haven't had much time to play around with XenForo, but I am already having issues with Avatars. I tried to set an image as my avatar, but it doesn't look like anything happens. Do certain features only work on a live server?
You've got two cases here where you change something, don't get an error message, yet the change never happens. If avatars are being stored on the file system, then I'd suggest this points to a directory permissions issue. Just make sure the correct directories are chmod to writable.

If the avatars are stored in the database, you may be looking at two separate problems. I'd still suspect directory permissions for the XAMPP issue, but might look at caching for the avatars? Try clearing your local cache and see if the avatar changes to what you expect. I haven't had a chance to look at xenForo internals yet, to offer more advice - sorry.

You've got two cases here where you change something, don't get an error message, yet the change never happens. If avatars are being stored on the file system, then I'd suggest this points to a directory permissions issue. Just make sure the correct directories are chmod to writable.

I'm familiar with chmod in an FTP client, but not in Windows. Maybe it is permission related though, because if uncheck the "Read-only" box in the xampp folder, that doesn't "stick either". As soon as I open it back up again, it's checked again! GRRRRR.

I suspect that may be against the terms of the license, you may want to check.
Unless things have changes you can add add an additional user/email to a license, and they can do whatever they want. I had this done for me several times when I was a tech admin on different boards, so I could download version upgrades, patches, etc.

I'd look at the Amazon AWS Free Usage Tier. It's free, and scales automatically for you (eventually becoming not free, but by them it's assumed you can afford it if you have that much traffic). You can easily (without technical knowledge) have it install a machine image that contains everything you need for xenForo (except xenForo). http://aws.amazon.com/free/

This is my exact situation (Windows 7, 64-bit), and I tried the recommended fixes with no such luck. I guess I'm SOL and won't be much of a localhost user!
Try installing phpBB3 on your localhost. You will need to do that eventually anyway, so now is a good time to check if avatar uploads do work on the phpBB side.

I'm not sure why your uploaded avatars don't show. Normally, folder permissions aren't an issue: if you have administrator privileges for your Windows installation, you should be able to write to any folder you created.

For importing a large database to my localhost, I use MySQLDumper. In my case, there were a few errors during the database import, which I resolved thanks to the last post in this topic.

I'm having issues importing the SMF DB using MySQLDumper. I made sure I set the "Error Handling while restoring" to "continue and log errors", but it crashes about 32 minutes into the restore and I cannot continue. I don't think I would be able to make much sense of the error anyway, but it also doesn't help that it displays in another language :eek:. See attached...

Attachments

• dump_error.webp
    dump_error.webp
    39.5 KB · Views: 7
This is my exact situation (Windows 7, 64-bit), and I tried the recommended fixes with no such luck. I guess I'm SOL and won't be much of a localhost user!
If you use vmware I may be able to set you up a local host virtual appliance and al you would have to do is run it in vmware and start copying your files over to it. I do this this way myself as I have an untouched copy of the appliance which I copy and paste a copy of to work on without effecting the installed empty LAMP setup. I have tried a bunch of them and XAMPP just hates me. Zend Server works great if you haven't tried that yet, do yourself a favor.

Anyways I like doing it this way also as my virtual machines are available anywhere on my home network so I can get off my desktop and open up the dev box on a laptop so I can keep working with no setbacks.
ghhfghf.webp

Like I said, if it is an option for you....try zend server...it works well for me and I am also on win-7-x64.

http://www.zend.com/en/products/server-ce/downloads

I was looking the same as you, was a pity I had to install a nulled xf version to try if I was able to import from vbulletin to xf. After the conversion was OK, I bought my XF licence ;)
That was my experience...but I don´t encourage you to install xf nulled

Here's an update for anyone who is interested: unofficial SMF 2 Importer is reporting the following...

shot_1242011_52445_pm.png

It appears as if a VERY limited number of user avatars were imported, while the rest were lost. Everything else displayed above appears to be accurate... not too shabby :)

Top Bottom