Interested in XenForo if...

Hello,

I am the administrator of an SMF forum that currently has 700k posts and 2400 registered users. I am VERY interested in xenForo, but would not necessarily be interested in purchasing a license unless a conversion from SMF 2.0 to xenForo was successful. Would xenForo be willing to offer a free temporary license or a full refund if the conversion was not successful? I would be more than willing to work with the xenForo team to ensure that their license is not misused!

Thank you for considering,

Greg

Here's what I did: I converted my SMF 2 board to phpBB3 (which is free), and then I imported the phpBB3 version into XenForo 1.1, which supports phpBB3 conversions. It imported avatars, passwords, and everything that matters (to me) without issues. There are some things you will need to pay attention to, but I'll share the details if you're interested.

My SMF 2 board has about 120.000 posts btw.

Alright, here's how I converted from SMF 2 to XenForo 1.1, using phpBB3 as a middle man, without spending any money other than on the XF license.

I'll give you an outline, but it's worth pointing out that this is relatively straightforward and easy. There are two ways to do this: convert everything live on your server, or convert everything on your local computer (localhost) after downloading your SMF installation, then uploading the converted XenForo site to your live server. I prefer the latter way of doing things, but this makes converting your site a bit more involved.

[STEP 1] First I backup my online SMF 2 database using phpMyAdmin. When exporting (downloading) your database, make sure you turn off the "extende inserts" option on the export page. Next, I download my entire SMF forum (all of the files) to my computer. I will assume that you have a local webserver such as xampp or mamp setup on your computer. For importing a large database to my localhost, I use MySQLDumper. In my case, there were a few errors during the database import, which I resolved thanks to the last post in this topic.

After you have moved your SMF board to your computer, you will want to use repair_settings.php for SMF to point your installation to your local database, and correct all file paths to point to the files on your computer, not your live webhost.

[STEP 2] Next up is setting up phpBB3 on your localhost. After you are done with that, download this SMF 2 to phpBB3 importer. Install the importer, use it, and sit back, because importing a large SMF database into phpBB3 may take a while.

[STEP 3] Assuming all goes well, you have succesfully converted from SMF to phpBB, but there is one thing you will need to do before importing phpBB into XenForo. Go to phpMyAdmin, open your phpBB3 database, click on SQL and then run the following query (just paste it in the box and press start):

Code:
UPDATE phpbb_posts SET post_subject=''

This deletes all reply titles, which will show up as bolded text above each XenForo post if you do not delete them with the above query.

[STEP 4] Now your phpBB3 board, formally SMF 2 board, can be imported into Xenforo. There are no additional steps, just run the importer and everything speaks for itself.

[STEP 5] Your XenForo install should be up and running by now (locally), but there are some things that you may wish to fix via SQL queries:

Change timezone for everyone in phpMyAdmin:
Code:
UPDATE xf_user SET timezone = 'Europe/Amsterdam'

After import, users are "Guest". Turn them into "Registered" with this query:
Code:
UPDATE xf_user SET display_style_group_id = 2 WHERE display_style_group_id = 1

Optional: delete all imported secondary user groups with this query:
Code:
UPDATE xf_user SET secondary_group_ids = ''

Optional: if you install another forum language (Dutch in my case), set all your users to that language (assuming your language ID is 2):
Code:
UPDATE xf_user SET language_id = 2

[STEP 6] One more thing I did was adding my imported admin account ID to "super administrators" in config.php, by adjusting this line: $config['superAdmins'] = '1,2';

These are basically the most important stept. Avatars and passwords will be imported, and stuff like quotes in posts will be converted properly ass well. This was just an outline, but I hope it will be of use. If you want to skip doing the conversion on your PC and prefer to do it on your live webserver, things may be more straightforward. Install Xenforo, install phpBB3, download the SMF converter for phpBB3 I linked to above, import SMF into phpBB, then follow [STEP 3, 4, 5, 6], which are basically the easiest steps. I hope this helps. If you need more in depth information about any of these steps, let me know.

... or convert everything on your local computer (localhost) after downloading your SMF installation, then uploading the converted XenForo site to your live server. I prefer the latter way of doing things, but this makes converting your site a bit more involved.

First, I want to thank you for typing this. Second, I was hoping you could give a brief explanation as to what the advantages are of working from localhost as opposed to a live server? I imagine that it accelerates the entire process and then you can simply upload to a live server once everything has been successful?

I've always heard of people referencing localhost, but I've never quite understood why!

ok, so i was able to get XAMPP installed and a localhost install of XenForo, but I had two minor issues. First, XAMPP kept telling me I successfully changed the MySQL password, but it never took effect. I ultimately decided to give up and just go with no password.

I haven't had much time to play around with XenForo, but I am already having issues with Avatars. I tried to set an image as my avatar, but it doesn't look like anything happens. Do certain features only work on a live server?

Data is data. The only issue with a conversion would be if you have custom modifications, and that's only an issue because you'd lose some/all of them. Converting the data, any competent SQL programmer can do (that includes most mod developers). However, if you have custom mods installed the standard, supplied data converter may not work, and you'd need one of the above mentioned mod developers to help.

Bottom line, other than mods, there is pretty much no way this *can't* be done. Just make sure you aren't working with a live board. Once my license is setup I can perhaps offer more advice or help if you still need it.

Data is data. The only issue with a conversion would be if you have custom modifications, and that's only an issue because you'd lose some/all of them. Converting the data, any competent SQL programmer can do (that includes most mod developers). However, if you have custom mods installed the standard, supplied data converter may not work, and you'd need one of the above mentioned mod developers to help.

Bottom line, other than mods, there is pretty much no way this *can't* be done. Just make sure you aren't working with a live board. Once my license is setup I can perhaps offer more advice or help if you still need it.

I'm not sure if this post is in reply the one where I posted about my first two issues, but I have not even gotten to the conversion stage yet. I've only setup XAMPP, purchased a XenForo license, and installed it on localhost. I will take what you just wrote into consideration as I continue to make my way through this process... Thanks!

Top Bottom