Interest in a XenForo specific iphone/android app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man just give me an app i can control i dont care what plugins it supports as long as it gets me off Tapatalk I would be jumping up and down from the ceiling.. woot Woot!!! The lighter the better.. If you want the full forum experience load it up on a PC.. My main concern is control over my advertisments, im sick of helping other people make money on my forums..

Last edited:
Seeing as xenforo works well responsively, I would really prefer if development was concentrated on other areas. One of the main reasons I switched to xenforo was to finally have a responsive style for a forum and ditch tapatalk, Forumrunner.

This seems a bit unnecessary.

I think the important thing will be ensuring that XFA can walk before it can run and it gets the basics perfected and polished.

The first release functionality would be very limited.

Browsing the forums
Viewing threads
Creating new threads.
Replying
Conversations
Adding forums to the app
A "New Posts" option to see whats new
Notifications of new posts

That may very well be it to start with.

Would be interested in this using the subscription based model but either would work, being able to use our own Adsense ads would be good.

Think you should support the official apps to start with, once they all work properly then add support for other adding.

The first release functionality would be very limited.

Browsing the forums
Viewing threads
Creating new threads.
Replying
Conversations
Adding forums to the app
A "New Posts" option to see whats new
Notifications of new posts

That may very well be it to start with.

And that would still be great!

I'm just thinking even in the mid-term. Don't just get those basics sorted and jump straight to 3rd party integration.

Proceed with rest of the core features along with the official XF product integration before anything else.

Man just give me an app i can control i dont care what plugins it supports as long as it gets me off Tapatalk I would be jumping up and down from the ceiling.. woot Woot!!! The lighter the better.. If you want the full forum experience load it up on a PC.. My main concern is control over my advertisments, im sick of helping other people make money on my forums..

Catch 22 however, unless you were willing to Pay a fair (monthly) price for it to run on your forums, if you would want it for free, then ads would be nearly almost certainly mandatory.

Catch 22 however, unless you were willing to Pay a fair price for it to run on your forums, if you would want it for free, then ads would be nearly almost certainly mandatory.
I dont expect anything for free that puts money back in my pocket.. Im just not a fan of renting plugins like the TT BYO monthly fee.. I want to own the license.. like i own my XF license. I'd gladly pay renewals for support/updates etc.. I just want to build my forums not bury them in debt..

Last edited:
I'm not a dev but: if 3rd party addon will apply to "some standards" (brainstorm needed between Apps' devs and major 3rd party' devs) I think that they can be supported more easily... or maybe can be a solution leave the app open to "auto accept" 3rd party addons if they apply to certain standard. (APIs?)

IMHO will be interested many devs from "new applications" category of the RM.

Very interested, and willing to help in the development.

In a away I see this as two separate projects, the first is the creation of s decent api framework for pulling data out of XenForo and is agnostic as to the end use. The second is the development of the app itself.

Not really that interested in a centralised app system controlled by a third party, although admittingly you would find 90% of forum owners would be happy with that, mainly because they are small and have no money. The bigger forums that are willing to spend money are much less in number. We have a few forums and ideally such an app could have all our forums plugged in if we wish. But that is ambitious and would settle for a one app one forum system.

An app would open up a whole world of possibility, for example what an app could do, that XF sorely needs to do, is to have a reverse timeline post structure with lazy scrolling and auto-updates.

Make it happen!

Reactions: Xon
Hmmmm....We don't have ads on our forum, as I'm sure is the case with many others. I really love the ad-free experience, but we also don't have much revenue. I want the best for our forum so usually try to buy the ad-free version, but am wondering if we could afford it.

I think we could pay a $250 fee up front. Even $10 a month might feel like a lot to us unless we grow a lot. We only have about 75 logged in members visit us every 48 hours, so it's hard to justify too many monthly costs.

We'd probably still use an ad-supported version, so maybe that's where we would fit into the business model.

Is there any way of charging us based on seats? The key is that big boards and the boards with advertising will be willing to pay far more than the smaller niche boards and those without advertising. It would be great if in your subscription model you could charge based on, say, the number of posts so that forums with less than 100,000 posts pay less than forums with more than 1,000,000. Perhaps it could be based on the number of concurrent users (across our entire site we only get about 2.5 pageviews per minute).

I hope the big board owners don't object to this idea because if you don't do something like this, you'll likely have to set the "ad-free" price so high that only big boards can afford it. That would actually hurt everyone because then the big board owners would basically have to cover all of your development costs without us small fries being able to pitch in some as well. (This is why economists generally approve of tiered pricing - it helps everyone).

The key would be finding the right variable to charge based on. Perhaps new posts per day? This should be something that the software would have to be able to access accurately through the API for the app to work.

Another great opportunity would be a fremium model where the individual user could pay to have the ads removed. I know I would do that. I hate ads.

Just went to check this out of curiosity. Judging by the reviews it looks like tapatalk may have accidentally killed the first born of every single one of its users in its latest update.

image.webp

Get on that opening in the market mate :)

Very interested, and willing to help in the development.

In a away I see this as two separate projects, the first is the creation of s decent api framework for pulling data out of XenForo and is agnostic as to the end use. The second is the development of the app itself.
I dream xenForo's official APIs extended from 3rd party devs and used/combined from smartphones apps! :D

I would be interested in an App that is controlled by me, and does not tie in to external websites/servers. After the Tapatalk problems full control and full security are essential. No adds. Yearly renewals.

I would be interested in an App that is controlled by me, and does not tie in to external websites/servers. After the Tapatalk problems full control and full security are essential. No adds. Yearly renewals.

+1

Not interested in something the user has to pay or a tapatalk like "generic" app.

I'd be interested, but as my forum is run for free with minimal donations then I'd have to wait and see what is decided about costs. We don't run adverts on my site, but I'd be happy having them on a mobile app if I could ditch Tapatalk as a result.

As far as I'm concerned I support the browser experience and tolerate Tapatalk. Tapatalk tries to be too much, so something clean & simple to use would be well received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom