Installing MySQLi

Curious

I haven't decided yet whether we will go with Xenforo for our large production site, but this software was too good -- I had to purchase it to support the developers and get a better look.

However, I have an issue. I set up a site on our dedicated box to install XF and noticed I need MySQLi installed, so I can't proceed.

I have a dedicated machine running WHM cPanel. I see EasyApache. I see MySQLi under the Exhaustive Options List. However, this is new to me as I've never done the Apache/PHP/MySQL build or install myself. I've done a number of Google Searches and can't seem to figure out how to install MySQLi without a new build of everything. Several months ago I hired someone to optimize my server (and I can't seem to contact him) and I'm not sure how to install MySQLi without wiping that out.

So I have two questions:

1. How can I install MySQLi without risking the chance of screwing up my server optimization?
2. Will installing MySQLi cause any problems or conflicts for an existing VBulletin site/database running presently?

Thank you.

Make sure you have "MySQL "Improved" extension" selected when you compile php and you are good to go.

As far as the conflict go, if you haven't specificly installed something for instance a cache module the specifications should be about the same. Of course XenForo has its own requirements such as GD, safe mode off and mysqli.

Make sure you have "MySQL "Improved" extension" selected when you compile php and you are good to go.

I appreciate it, yavuz -- but that's where I'm confused. I can create the build with that extension selected, but it will rebuild Apache and PHP completely (not MySQL, I'm assuming), correct? Will I lose any optimized settings?

Maybe my question is too basic since this is new ground for me. I'm nervous about making a mistake that would set me back in trying to add this one extension. I was hoping there was a way to add it without risking a disturbance.

Thanks!

I appreciate it, yavuz -- but that's where I'm confused. I can create the build with that extension selected, but it will rebuild Apache and PHP completely (not MySQL, I'm assuming), correct? Will I lose any optimized settings?

Maybe my question is too basic since this is new ground for me. I'm nervous about making a mistake that would set me back in trying to add this one extension. I was hoping there was a way to add it without risking a disturbance.

Thanks!

You assumed correct it will build the mysql extensions for php and unless you haven't selcted at the bottom of easy apache to reset your php.ini you will not loose the previous settings before. Unless I'm not terribly mistaken, this is the way it happens. Of course you can backup your setting before you run the compiler and maybe manually backup your php.ini if you like. Just to make sure.

Just want to say thanks for your help today, yavuz. I got MySQLi set up and am able to install now (about to do). Thanks again.

Top Bottom