• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Installed ES last night - Easy as 1, 2, 3

Big Dan

Some of my members complained about not being able to search for a few industry specific terms that are less than 4 characters. Not sure why they're complaining now vBulletin had the same limitation, if I recall correctly.

Anywho my hosting is managed so I had them install Elastic Search, activated the plugin, added a few words, and rebuild the index.

It was so easy a caveman could do it! :)

craigiri

I had Slav help me install it on a test site of a million-plus posts.

It's going to be a whole new world - allowing for those short words. In my industry, lots of manufacturers are known by two letter codes. Also the names and model numbers are often 2 or 3 characters.

In terms of speed - I don't yet see a difference - some searches are actually slow, but I suspect that is due to the searches not being done often and therefore not cached, etc.

jauburn

Isn't it possible to allow 2-letter searches by tweaking the mysql or php parameters? I know we didmthat on my old forum, and we did not need a different search tool to accommodate it.

jauburn

I have often been unimpressed with the search results here at xenforo. I search for an add-on that I know exists, for example, and instead of popping up as the number 1 result, it is buried way down in the list. Some searches have been so frustrating, in fact, that I now routinely use google rather than the forum search tool.

trizz

I have often been unimpressed with the search results here at xenforo. I search for an add-on that I know exists, for example, and instead of popping up as the number 1 result, it is buried way down in the list. Some searches have been so frustrating, in fact, that I now routinely use google rather than the forum search tool.
can you post an example?

jauburn

can you post an example?
You bet. It's quite easy actually. Take any random thread title here or a title of a resource item. Type it into the search bar. Let's take the resource discussion count by waindigo (I picked that out randomly after looking at resources). On xenforo, I typed discussion count waindigo, and that resource appears third. Not too bad. But in google I typed discussion count waindigo, and it's the first thing that pops up.

I've seen cases where the xenforo search never really got me to where I wanted to go, but Google got me there directly, and with less fuss.

On my own forum, I've added google custom search (per directions posted here somewhere), and I often find that it's far easier and more effective to use that than to use the built-in search w/ xenforo.