Installation Problem

I changed the permissions on the folders below, but I still get this error. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

he following errors occurred while verifying that your server can run XenForo:
  • The directory /home/dustinma/public_html/888innovation.com/teachers/data must be writable. Please change the permissions on this directory to be world writable (chmod 0777). If the directory does not exist, please create it.
  • The directory /home/dustinma/public_html/888innovation.com/teachers/internal_data must be writable. Please change the permissions on this directory to be world writable (chmod 0777). If the directory does not exist, please create it.

Brogan, I want to make 2 installations because I have my main forum for my students but I was thinking of creating a separate forum just for teachers.
The license only permits one installation and one test installation.

You can't use the license for two separate forums used by two different groups of people; you will need two licenses for that.

(Threads merged)

I'm putting this little piece of knowledge here so folks searching for permission errors find it!

There are some situations that should be watched for when moving or installing XF to a new server, especially an unmanaged one (VPS, etc.). Here are a couple scenarios....

1. When the FTP program on the SERVER is installed (vsftpd), it uses a conf file which, by default, may upload any files with the wrong permissions (usually 0700). Basic server ftp installation instructions are here:
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/vsftpd.htm

BUT, the problem occurs when this part of the .conf is not changed...
Code:
#
# Default umask for local users is 077. You may wish to change this to 022,
# if your users expect that (022 is used by most other ftpd's)
#local_umask=

In my case, the last line needed to be uncommented and 022 entered as the value.
After doing so, all uploads via an ftp program worked fine!

2. If you have your host or admin representative move or upload your files, they may do so as "root" or as another user, giving you complications when you go in after and try to change things, update, etc.
Although I am not a 'nix expert, I think the basics here are that you want your XF files to have the same owner and group as you....a regular user, since that is how you are going to FTP in most of the time.

Those with fancy CP setups probably don't have to deal with the above since these settings are already correct in most cases.

I hope this helps someone sometime!

Top Bottom