1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Installation is taking forever

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by boboman13, Mar 29, 2013.

1. boboman13

boboman13 New Member

Hello,
    So I have already uploaded the necessary files and such, however, after I have set up the MySQL database and it goes to the next step, it is just taking forever. I leave it open for around 4 to 2 hours as a tab, and its either stuck on the "Rebuilding... Admin Templates (Importing)" or the 'Rebuilding... Templates (Importing)", is it supposed to take this long? However, I must close the tab after say 4 hours, so I think I lose the progress I made before... Help please?

2. Dodgeboard

Dodgeboard Well-Known Member

No it shouldn't take that long at this point. The good thing is you should be able to navigate back to the install directory and rebuild the templates again, or take up where you left off. Importing from another database can take considerable time - is this a new install?

3. boboman13

boboman13 New Member

Yes, this is a new install. The installation has not yet passed this point, so the database should not have anything in it, unless it puts stuff in it during the phase. If it helps, on the tab it says "Rebuilding... | Xenforo".

4. Dodgeboard

On a new install this step should not last any longer than a minute or so. Start over and try it again. If you want me to take a look, PM me.

5. boboman13

boboman13 New Member

How should I start it over, should I delete all the files, re-upload, then try a brand new installation?

6. Dodgeboard

That's probably the way I would do it...after all it's a new install, there's nothing to lose....plus you will get good practice. :D

Just follow the installation manual closely, paying attention to permissions on directories.

7. boboman13

boboman13 New Member

I don't want to jump the gun or anything, but it has taken 4 minutes on the Importing Templates step again. Should I completely re-download the files from XenForo, re-upload them, clear the database, and start like that?

8. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

To install again you can simply delete the contents of data and internal_data, then run /install again. It may prompt you about clearing the existing tables which is OK if your intention is to wipe the old install and start over.

The install doesn't normally take longer than a minute. It's possible your server is just very slow.

9. Dodgeboard

Might be a good idea. I would probably start with everything fresh in a situation like this, otherwise you are running in circles. Have you run the test script to test your host?

10. boboman13

boboman13 New Member

Apparently not... Is there some sort of tutorial of how to test the host?

11. Dodgeboard

12. boboman13

boboman13 New Member

I ran the requirements and my server is ok, and I re-uploaded all the files and such but its stuck again. Any other ideas?

13. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Who is your host?
    Are you on a shared server?
    What are the spec's?

14. boboman13

boboman13 New Member

My hosting has told me the following:

Maxsservers.com
    Shared environment
    Hosting24 business reseller