1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install in root, or in folder- opinions on which is best, also redirects

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Barnes, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Barnes

Barnes Member

I am in the process of switching over my clan's website to xenforo from vb4.

In vb4 - I had everything installed in "Forums" folder, and had an index php redirect from the web root to this folder. I was running the cms, so the home webpage was ironrangers.net , which was the CMS, so even though the path was ironrangers.net/Forums, the web browser was ironrangers.net

Now in the switch, I currently have xenforo installed in a "forums" folder. I have an index.php in the webroot again to point to this folder. I do want to use 8Runs Porta for a portal page (or I may end up creating a page) , but then the "Home" shows ironrangers.net/forums/portal when I want it to read ironrangers.net

I have tried htaccess, but maybe I am doing something incorrectly, as I just cant get it to work.

So, that made me think of just putting xenforo in the web root itself, not in a folder.

What are the pro's/cons of installing in the root versus a folder (forums, community, whatever)

Also- if anyone has any tips on re-directs and rewrites , I have searched and tried several different things, but just cant get anything to work.

Thanks

Terry

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Barnes

Barnes Member

Thanks Jake. I am using a index.php to redirect from the root to the /forums folder.

Do you have a recommended rewrite so that it drops the ironrangers.net/forums/portal to look like ironrangers.net ?

4. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I recommend you put XenForo into the route, then use this to pick what you want as your index. :) It works very, very well and doesn't make managing where you install stuff more complex than it should.