• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Inspired or ripped?

On a side note, I use to try to copy the best styles I seen. Styles at extremepixels and vbstyles and other sources. Although I only did it to further my skills in photoshop and design. Those skins and psd's were never released or sold or used on any of my websites. I still have many of them but I will never give them out.

I know...and he could still file a DMCA based on each individual product.
Against who? A non-existent or fake site listed in the customer's account? The site that is redistributing the files? Maybe a site that is using the pirated style? Heck, people have been sending DMCA notices to one particular vB pirate site & their host for years and have had literally no impact. I've been down this path many times and is one of the reasons why I got out of the vB styles business some years ago. Nothing like releasing a brand new product only to see it on pirate sites the same day it was released. Heck, I've had closed beta copies of some stuff pirated before the public even saw it.

When it comes to non-tangible software goods, especially styles, the only outcome of sending a DMCA is that the sender feels good for a few minutes.

When it comes to non-tangible software goods, especially styles, the only outcome of sending a DMCA is that the sender feels good for a few minutes.
But not doing anything sends the message that it is okay to do it.

But not doing anything sends the message that it is okay to do it.
The only people who will ever know that a DMCA was even sent was (A) the sender and (B) the recipient who most likely will chuckle at the expense of A and then continue on. Heck, there are several style vendors here, some former & some current, just ask them how well DMCAs work.

The only people who will ever know that a DMCA was even sent was (A) the sender and (B) the recipient who most likely will chuckle at the expense of A and then continue on. Heck, there are several style vendors here, some former & some current, just ask them how well DMCAs work.
I know how they work, I've used them before and no, I don't feel I wasted my time altho it was time consuming and accomplished very little. I did manage to be a nudge. And the other designers affected were also nudges. Get enough doing it, and it may eventually stop that one.

Copycats will never overshadow the original work.
Actually I see it as a complement when someone is "inspired" by my work (not design ... a totally different field )

Few designers have the talent to leave a lasting impression . I can name one Dragonfly :) When I see her work I know it's her work no matter what platform the design is made for.
So it is a good thing for new designers to learn from her styles and give her credit (inspired by :D the least they could do).

Depending on where the offending site is hosted, a properly constructed DMCA notification can actually be very effective - if the site owner fails to act, contact the host and it will progress from there.

I know how they work, I've used them before and no, I don't feel I wasted my time altho it was time consuming and accomplished very little. I did manage to be a nudge. And the other designers affected were also nudges. Get enough doing it, and it may eventually stop that one.
It good to see that there are still some Don Quixotes in the world fighting the battle. I mean that as a compliment in that you believe there are some battles that can be won yet. I was like that once.

Depending on where the offending site is hosted, a properly constructed DMCA notification can actually be very effective - if the site owner fails to act, contact the host and it will progress from there.
Have you ever tried dealing with a certain "team" site? I can send you the URL via if you're curious. Many have tried, all to no avail.

Kevin I know exactly the site you are speaking of and if you search that website for "completegfx" or "complete gfx" you will find some of the styles.

What a slap in the face.

Or maybe I'm being a hypocrite because I do download mp3's......

However this was back in 2006 or 2007 when this happened. After my property was stolen, I quit the business a few months later.

I absolutely HATE being a hypocrite.

I just showed how it's simple to create own nice-looking styles using the styles from vBulletin. If FT want to create their own style Lustrous they of course can do it, but it will be paid. My style is free and uses NO COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Their style of course will include some icons and a psd. I also want to say that the logo was created from the blank and uses different effects form the original one so it has no copyright of FT.
Technically, the design itself is copyrighted.

Guys, I don't understand, what are you complaining about? The style is FREE. So you don't have to pay for it, otherwise if you don't like that it was copied from Lustrous you may not to download it, it's only up to you. I will understand your complains if the style was paid but it's not.
We aren't discussing your style specifically. In fact I think a number of us have said that we don't have a problem with your style. I think we're just discussing the topic in general at this point. :)

But can you tell me why do you think so? :)
Because the design itself is the work of the original creator and is copyrighted.

If I draw a picture using crayons, and you recreate it using oil pastels, that doesn't mean it's your work. You couldn't just copy my drawing without asking my permission first. :)

Actually, I'm pretty sure that you couldn't win a copyright suit because someone did a crayon drawing of your oil painting. Unless the rules have changed. Legally speaking I mean, not "in spirit."

Top Bottom