Insert new post before first in thread

Jeff Fuqua

I run into the occasional issue of a poster who reports some news which is quickly followed by a thread started by an RSS feed from an official source.

I'd like to make the official source the first post in the thread and merge the threads together. When I merge, the original post remains the first one.

Is there a way to insert a new post which becomes the first in the thread or promote an existing one in the existing thread to move to #1?

Thanks.

Run this query in phpmyadmin:

Code:
SELECT * FROM `xf_post` WHERE thread_id = 1 ORDER BY position ASC

You're going to have two rows (possibly more if more than one merge is done) with position: 0. The positions aren't re-calculated upon merging so that's where the issue lies. If you change the position on one of the rows to 1 instead of 0, it should be correct. If that's the case, a fix will be relatively simple. I think this might be better off as a bug report and fixed by @Mike instead of as an add on though.

Unless of course I'm wrong.

Is there a way to insert a new post which becomes the first in the thread or promote an existing one in the existing thread to move to #1?

This is fairly easy to do with phpmyadmin. Are you comfortable editing the database directly using phpmyadmin?

This is fairly easy to do with phpmyadmin. Are you comfortable editing the database directly using phpmyadmin?
I try to stay away from messing with the database whenever possible. I was hoping there might be interest in an add-on which would allow an admin to select a post and make it the first one of a thread.

I try to stay away from messing with the database whenever possible. I was hoping there might be interest in an add-on which would allow an admin to select a post and make it the first one of a thread.
Just merge the threads and whichever post you want to be first or second, change the posts owner with this addon: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/*******-change-threads-posts-owner.1327/

Someone (Chris?) has an addon that changes the post time. If you used that on the RSS thread and then merged, that would work wouldn't it?

Top Bottom