Indicate when a prefix is required

beerForo

If a forum is set to have a required prefix, there is not language that suggests this. Instead, you have to click to submit the post to trigger the warning. This is a waste of a click. Most all form submissions will let you know what is required beforehand. Since I plan to have a ton of required prefixes I wanted to bring this up.

The language in the prefix field is (no prefix). This simply means no prefix is selected, and does not denote a requirement.
This could be addressed by changing the language to (required) or noting it is required in red somewhere, before submission.

Thanks!

Upvote 20
While not unreasonable as a suggestion, this isn't exactly true:
Most all form submissions will let you know what is required beforehand.
For example when creating a thread we do not indicate that a title is required, or a message is required.

Ultimately while I take your point, this isn't exactly a bug so we will consider it in the future if there is a compelling reason to change it.

Thanks for moving and considering, would be great for forums that plan to use prefixes instead of categories in some cases for organization, saving that click.

For example when creating a thread we do not indicate that a title is required, or a message is required.

I think the difference here is those are always required so it becomes second nature, but with prefixes you can mix and match the requirement. So with some forums on, some off, it becomes an annoyance without the respective language.

Thanks again for considering.

Running into a similar issue, I have a suggestion here.

Click the Checkbox - Require users to select a prefix

Now the only issue left is to change the language from No Prefix to Select a Prefix

I have not been successful to find where that language setting is so temporarily I made a Prefix that says "Select a Prefix" and I made that the default. It does not work great though because if someone submits a post without selecting you get a Select a Prefix prfix.

HeHe... Does that make any sense?

Easiest fix for me here would be to change the language of No Prefix to Select a Prefix

Can that be changed?

Easiest fix for me here would be to change the language of No Prefix to Select a Prefix

Can that be changed?
Ha! That's what I did. My language is simply Required. The only issue is this will change the language in the batch update threads area, all you have to do is remember what it used to say.

Ha! That's what I did. My language is simply Required. The only issue is this will change the language in the batch update threads area, all you have to do is remember what it used to say.
Where did you find that language setting?

I typed in prefix and checked all the phrases that came up and did not see it.

Old thread, but I don't think this comparison really makes sense, the "title" and "message" fields don't come with a default value of "No title" or "No message", the prefix does, even when required

It's a shame we can't vote on closed suggestions.
The way suggestions are handled in general is shame; suggestions from 2010 that have a decent number of votes are still pretty much ignored, and more niche developer/designer suggestions will usually get closed as they will never have the support as end user suggestions, even though they will make life easier for providing resources.

I still vote on suggestions/make them once in a while, but I don't have much hope on most and usually just look at getting them made by add-ons.

The way suggestions are handled in general is shame; suggestions from 2010 that have a decent number of votes are still pretty much ignored, and more niche developer/designer suggestions will usually get closed as they will never have the support as end user suggestions, even though they will make life easier for providing resources.

I still vote on suggestions/make them once in a while, but I don't have much hope on most and usually just look at getting them made by add-ons.
I agree. And "lack of interest" is a little weird in that you could probably post your suggestion 1 year later and see it get a ton of votes. It's like almost like trying to get a post to the front page of Reddit. Identical content can go to the top or bottom depending on the day.

@Chris D - if we have old "lack of interest" suggestions, is there a point where we can try posting them again?

Also, the open suggestions forum does feel a bit bloated. I have a lot of suggestions I want to make but searching to see if they're already up can be tricky. Especially since some have been open for 10+ years.

Maybe you could add a "potential" sub-forum to keep the main suggestions forum clear (kind of how bugs work).

Last edited:
As everyone is so emphatic, I will move this back so you can vote on it again. We will do this if there is a surge of interest.

I haven't voted for suggestions for a long time now, given the lack of interest XF developers have in them...
Every single XF release, especially since XF 2.1, has implemented many of the most popular suggestions. XF 2.3 is no different, by the way. But sure, we have no interest at all in them!

ED54CC08-122A-4B5C-B57B-A8A55B0EFE40.jpeg

No interest at all.

Michael Scott GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom