Increase File Size for Avatars?

Amaury

Do you guys think the file size limit of 40 KB here should be to increased to maybe 120 KB?

I've got a moderator friend on KH-Vids that is amazing at graphics and makes avatars for people. He's made a lot for me, and because he's so amazing, his avatars are anywhere between 39 KB and 105 KB, with the majority being in the 80s, so I'm unable to use them here. Also note that they're all in PNG format since that produces the best quality.

Here is one of his masterpieces that was made for me, which is 103 KB:
0HGfgq9.png

It's also worth noting that for an image like that, JPG with a high compression ratio (80-90) will produce an image just as high quality, but just under 40kb, which got reduced to 25kb with a quick optimisation:

0HGfgq9.webp

I always manage to get my avatar down to below 50kB and still keep it in good quality. I can never get it to look high quality under 40kB.

Use Gravatar.

What exactly is Gravatar? I've never understood it.

It's also worth noting that for an image like that, JPG with a high compression ratio (80-90) will produce an image just as high quality, but just under 40kb, which got reduced to 25kb with a quick optimisation:

View attachment 62387

Well, PNG doesn't lose quality is the thing. See post #4 from my friend here for a detailed explanation.

Well, PNG doesn't lose quality is the thing. See post #4 from my friend here for a detailed explanation.
Believe me, I know about how PNG24 is a lossless format. But the level I'm compressing this image (85 is virtually nothing for an image like this) doesn't cause any visible loss in quality anyway. You don't need completely lossless for the web, and the additional file size reduction on detailed images with JPG, in my opinion, makes it a more viable format for non-transparent images that need to be small.

Any good quality avatar (nice and sharp) I manage to get I can't upload because of size limits. I still think an increase to at least 100 KB would be nice.

And before anyone says Gravatar or optimization:
  • My Gravatar question was never answered, so I still don't know what it is.
  • I don't know how to optimize and, considering I frequently change avatars, it would get annoying to frequently have to ask someone to optimize my avatars for me. Not so much to me, but the person I'm asking.

Gravatar = Globally Recognized Avatar. You set up an account, set your avatar. Use it on various sites. Once you change it on gravatar, it changes on all the sites you use it.

Gravatar = Globally Recognized Avatar. You set up an account, set your avatar. Use it on various sites. Once you change it on gravatar, it changes on all the sites you use it.

So all I do is register, set my avatar and boom, I'm done!

Have you tried actually Googling for it?

It's the very first hit and clicking that link will tell you everything you need to know.

I sort of did that. I clicked "What's a Gravatar?" on the Avatar Editor overlay when you first posted here, but it didn't really help.

If your file is a PNG, running it through compression will also help in reducing space (most gfx'ers create PNG files or at least a experienced GFX'er should create PNG files)
https://tinypng.com

I prefer PNG over JPG because quality isn't lost as the dimensions or file size decrease, unlike JPG. Will compressing reduce quality?

Anyway, I still think an increase would be nice if some people don't want to go through the trouble of logging into Gravatar and changing it. I personally don't mind if this is the only way I can use the good quality avatars I have, but still.

Top Bottom