Fixed Incorrect use of IP phrase

Luxus

In the ACP the phrase may_enter_partial_ip_using_star_at_end_to_ban_range is used in the Banned IP's page as well as in the Discouraged IP Addresses page.

Banned IP's page:

banip.webp

Discouraged IP Addresses page:

disip.webp

The error here is the use of "ban" in the Discouraged IP Addresses page, because discouraged IP addresses aren't banned from the site. I suggest creating a new phrase and replacing "to ban" with "to discourage".

may_enter_partial_ip_using_star_at_end_to_discourage_range = You may enter a partial IP, using * at the end to discourage a range of IPs (example: 192.168.*).

That's all (for now) :)

I'm sorry but this is such a tiny issue that I don't think Mike should even waste his time with. Discourage and Banning are some what the same, you still don't want them to see content.

Such a tiny issue. (if even an issue).

I'm sorry but this is such a tiny issue that I don't think Mike should even waste his time with. Discourage and Banning are some what the same, you still don't want them to see content.

Such a tiny issue. (if even an issue).
The fixing of any issue is better for the software. If it takes Mike 30 seconds to fix this tiny issue to make a user happy (translators would probably welcome it), this is good all around. Issues should be resolved no matter how small. The smaller the issue, the quicker the fix, the better.

I work in Software Development, and let me tell you, minor issues can matter a great deal to people. I've seen projects being held off from launching because button X was one pixel to the left of button Y. Attention to detail like this is a sign of a good developer and quality piece of software. (y)

I suggest creating a new phrase and replacing "to ban" with "to discourage".
Might be easier to just change the phrase to say, "You may enter a partial IP, using * at the end to match a range of IPs" or something similar allowing the phrase for general use.

It's the huge amount of discrepancies in the default language that had always bothered me in vBulletin. I am glad for all the attention to detail in the case of xF. (y)

Might be easier to just change the phrase to say, "You may enter a partial IP, using * at the end to match a range of IPs" or something similar allowing the phrase for general use.
The problem is you need to take other languages into account. English is one of the coolest (and laziest) languages this planet has to offer. You can use one term for loads of multiple meanings whereas in other languages not so much. Therefore every additional phrase is appreciated.

Considering "discourage" has been used everywhere else in that section, I don't doubt a separate phrase will be utilised.

The problem is you need to take other languages into account.
I can't say I know too many languages, so I didn't realise a phrase such as this cannot be translated easily... I thought it would actually be easier for people if there were less phrases to translate. :p Whatever is easier for people then, doesn't really matter to me.

Considering "discourage" has been used everywhere else in that section, I don't doubt a separate phrase will be utilised.
That's a good point, I guess that makes sense for consistency then. The way I saw it was I assumed that this phrase is mostly used as an explain class which means it usually has accompanying labels that make the user know what it's referring to. Where as the other phrases require separate phrases since they may possibly be used standalone.

Top Bottom