1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Inconsistency in design of Search dropdowns

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Grover, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

A picture says more then...

search.png

Digital Doctor, ChrisR and TrixieTang like this.
  2. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

Some of these differences might be on purpose/as designed, other maybe not. Either way I do not see a problem in this, but it's good to let them know of course.

3. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

There is no problem whatsoever, that's why I didn't report it as a bug :). Still, it is something that I recognized not to be consistent, so maybe it needs fine tuning.

4. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

They are due for some attention. FWIW, I prefer the main search box to the forum search box.

dutchbb, TrixieTang and erich37 like this.
  5. ChrisR

ChrisR Active Member

Thats one thing i hate in software is things that are consistent.. ;)

EDIT: I think all search drop-downs should look like the main one.

6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Ditto.

The main search pane looks a bit more polished.

7. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Me too.

8. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

HEY! I like the search box. LEAVE it ALONE.

Agh. Maybe make the option to reduce member search and "newer than" boxes [for people like the OP].

9. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Did you actually read the suggestion?...

TrixieTang likes this.
  10. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Yes I did. His image shows that he wants to make it less hmm...[I don't know the best word to use, but here goes nothing] "cluttered." The suggestion is to "reduce" at least one or two to a minimalist size.

I understand that the OP changed the search boxes for member search/newer than into checkboxes.

Oh, and its consistent, to me. Organized in the way that categorizes the boxes, if you ask me.

11. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

First: His, the OP ... is me ;).
    Second: I am afraid you didn't understand the suggestion. Try reading it again.

12. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

I understand its you, I'm just trying to be nice, is all. :)

Oh, wait....You ...sneaky... runt. You were talking about the difference between the main site's search box, and "search this thread" boxes. AAAAAHHHH.....

*Defeated look, and walks away lookin' down*

13. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Okay, so now that I've understood the suggestion. I think that I stay with the original statement - Why I say this, its because if Kier/Mike did change it to fit the consistency of the main search box - it would look too much of the same thing. We don't want a boring looking site, now do we? And on top of this, sometimes its confusing to distinguish between thread search, and main search. I had this confusion problem in my experience with VB.

Sometimes, in VB [doesn't matter which version between vb3/vb4] - I would click the search box for thread, when I meant to click the main one. Why? Too consistent.

14. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

I agree the main one looks better, but maybe the difference in color also helps to differentiate between the two? I certainly understand Carlos' point here.

15. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

xenforo.search.missing.display.results.as.threads.jpg

Found this thread by accident.
    I see the Search dropdowns are much more consistent.

This should be moved to Implemented.