Implemented Include upload image in insert image

Ferdinand

Is it possible to allow users to upload a file when they click insert image button in the editor.

It is a real pain to explain to users that to insert an image from their computer they need to upload a file first or use an image hoster like tinypic.

I'm guessing its a template edit, but I don't know how to do this and think it would improve the core software significantly.

Upvote 31
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
My new users tend to have their eyes glued to the formatting icons & miss the upload button. Be good if the upload option was offered as well as URL.

View attachment 151629

We hate hotlinked or 3rd party hosted images so may tweak it so clicking the View attachment 151630 icon brings up the uploader with no option to insert an image URL at all!

Who can we pay to make this happen!?!?!

The DEFAULT action should be to upload an image. The 2nd option should be to choose from existing uploads. The third option should be "enter a url".

My new users tend to have their eyes glued to the formatting icons & miss the upload button. Be good if the upload option was offered as well as URL.

View attachment 151629

We hate hotlinked or 3rd party hosted images so may tweak it so clicking the View attachment 151630 icon brings up the uploader with no option to insert an image URL at all!

I personally HATE the 3rd party images, too. But I've been overruled. Several of our users & moderators love them because they store their photos externally instead of on their PC. We're planning to harvest the external images & convert them to attachments so they don't disappear & leave useless posts, but they're resisting THAT, too. Our rules state that posting ANYTHING to our MB grants us license to use/store the contents of the posts, but they argue that they didn't post the photos - they posted links to THEIR private photos and we have no right to harvest them because they own exclusive rights to them. They're threatening to never upload another photo if we're going to harvest their private images.

About that "Mountain" icon - I hate IT, too. It's ALMOST as bad as the stupid unrecognizable tree that vB used to use. I'd very much prefer to use the Camera icon to upload photos from a camera/pc! People SEE and instantly recognize the camera: "AHA - if I click THAT, I'll be able to upload a photo!" They click it FIRST, discover that it's a blind alley, and have to HUNT for the right tool to upload a new photo. It's counter-intuitive unless you recognize that the mountains represent a framed photo, not just mountains - or that a digital photo IS a file. We've changed the upload button to read "Upload a Photo or File" so they'll see the word they're looking for. IMHO, the camera icon should lead to a multi-purpose tool that can insert photos from ANY source. Three different tools to insert photos from different sources is a PITA! The icon to access the media gallery should be a Photo Album or some such, NOT a camera.
Who can we pay to make this happen!?!?!

The DEFAULT action should be to upload an image. The 2nd option should be to choose from existing uploads. The third option should be "enter a url".
I agree, 100%

My non-techy members are already confused and freaking about about "the stupid mountain icon" in the editor.

Does anybody have a way to do either of the following:
  1. Edit what the "mountain icon" does? Can we set it somewhere so it just pops open the "Upload a file" window?
  2. If #1 isn't possible, is there a way to add a link to the "Image URL" popup that says something like: “ ”
Maybe like this:

uploadimage.gif

1. Edit what the "mountain icon" does? Can we set it somewhere so it just pops open the "Upload a file" window?
  2. If #1 isn't possible, is there a way to add a link to the "Image URL" popup that says something like: “ ”
1: I don't think that will do what you want - you can't insert from PhotoBucket, etc. using Upload a File.
2: You might want to modify the phrase "Upload a File" to read "Upload a Photo or File" - those non-techy members probably don't know that a digital photo IS a file. They need to SEE the word "PHOTO"

That mountain icon is absolutely meaningless to the same users. vB used to use a totally unrecognizable 16x16px framed painting of a tree - which was at least as meaningless. The camera icon would have been a much better choice. The Media Gallery icon should have been a photo album, NOT a camera.

As I said earlier, I think we need ONE multi-purpose tool to insert a photo from ANY source. Default to "From PC" with the option of selecting a URL or the Media Gallery.

Last edited:
We have a few users (including a moderator) who frequently post photos that they've stored on external sites. They'd scream LOUDLY if they couldn't do it any more.
And we already have a lot of old posts that have become useless because the external photos have disappeared. AndyB has an add-on that will convert the external images to attachments when the post is saved. That should prevent future "missing photo" problems. And also allow us to control how they're displayed. We use another of Andy's add-ons to prevent inserting full-size photos. We display 250px expandable thumbnails to prevent endless scrolling past multiple full-size photos in posts. They're big enough to give a good idea what will be seen if they're expanded without beuing annoying. We're ALMOST ready to go live, converting from vB to XF.

This may be old, but I too am running into this problem. The idea of seeing the image button on the WYSIWYG editor is misleading. Should be the option and my forum will be heavily consistent on users uploading their images. And telling a user to use a different button would require telling EVERY user to use the different button... Is there a way to add a custom button to the WYSIWYG area? I will just add the code for upload a file to another image icon in the editor itself.

With AAS installed, our Quick Reply window looks like this. MUCH more obvious. But would be better if "UPLOAD" could be replaced by a Camera icon.QR.webp

Chiming in here to agree with the fact that uploading an image should be more obvious. I'm setting up a fresh XF (first one) for launch soon, and I had to Google search to figure out how to upload an image. It might be that every single other forum I've ever used has allowed me to upload an image when clicking that same kind of image (mountain) icon. This kind of confusing design means I need to write a quick guide to explain how the basics of the forum work. As a moderator here said earlier, once you tell someone, they'll know... which is fine, but if most of your users have to Google search to find that info in the first place, the design choice is questionable.

Seriously this is confusing, I wonder how xenforo has all the positive reviews then I find out in a forum that I created recently that the image adding is very confusing and not user friendly at all! ( educating the user! Are you serious???)

Are there any addons to fix this? will this fixed in the coming version? or better switch to vbulletin?

Seriously this is confusing, I wonder how xenforo has all the positive reviews then I find out in a forum that I created recently that the image adding is very confusing and not user friendly at all! ( educating the user! Are you serious???)

Are there any addons to fix this? will this fixed in the coming version? or better switch to vbulletin?
See above post #54 seems to be a fix. I haven't installed it because I don't want to be reliant on addons that I don't know will be available on xenforo2.

However it still seems totally absurd that xenforo2 doesn't address this confusing, unintuitive and anti-useability function. We really should not need hacks or addons to mend this and certainly not have to educate users when the surely if is something that could so easily be included in the core of xenforo

Top Bottom