Implemented Include upload image in insert image

Ferdinand

Is it possible to allow users to upload a file when they click insert image button in the editor.

It is a real pain to explain to users that to insert an image from their computer they need to upload a file first or use an image hoster like tinypic.

I'm guessing its a template edit, but I don't know how to do this and think it would improve the core software significantly.

Upvote 31
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I still think this is a really great and important suggestion.

One thing I have noticed after making a few suggestions of my own is that although developers and support staff are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, it is often difficult to look objectively through the eyes of a beginner.

This is understandable, once you become experienced, the word "intuitive" means something different.

My solution was to change the phrase text for the phrase upload_file to "Upload a Photo". Works great if the only kind of attachments your members use are images.

2015-02-03_2005.webp

Well, you could always change it to "Upload Attachment". Anybody that's been doing email for more than a few months knows what attachments are.

Last edited:
Well, you could always change it to "Upload Attachment". Anybody that's been doing email for more than a few months knows what attachments are.

I think the point people are making here is to have the interface as intuitive as possible for new users. I am facing this right now developing a xenforo forum for a residints association where many of the people we want to encourage are old, and very scared of computers and what appears to us as everyday can be appear to be very techy.

What would be more intuitive is that you can put a picture in a post when you click on the icon of a picture.

What people have been saying is that we know that icon is for embedding from a URL, and the button at the bottom is for attaching a file (which could be a picture but might just as easily be a spreadsheet).

It is logical and intuitive for people new to this kind of forum software that they add a picture by first clicking on the image icon at the top.

If they then get clear option to embed from a URL or to upload a picture from their computer than that is what I call logical.

This is the way it works with Wordpress when you click on "Add Media" - you get the option to upload file or insert from URL all from the same button, the net result being the same, a picture in the post.

I think it is a great idea and will help. I know this because with the residents assoc. forum, I have volunteered to go round people's houses to show how it works.

"You want to add a picture? Then press the icon here at the top of the post that looks like a picture" is way better than

"The image icon is only for pictures somewhere else. For your own pictures you click on the button at the bottom"

Dear @Mike and @Kier,

I have now waited 6 months. is this something that will potentially become available? I believe the mass market requires the WYSIWYG editor to be as simple as possible and upload a file as explained here: post 17.

We as BB users are all experienced but replacing text upload a file with an option to select image/file, or adding an 'upload image' to the insert image icon in the WYSIWYG editor would make a huge difference to simplicity of use.

An option to drag images & files into the editor would be next level and in the direction I hope you can confirm you are working towards.

Thank you for considering this request as we'd all like xenforo to be the best it can be.

All the best,
Joshua

This is an open suggestion, the feature may or may not come. Features are not generally commented on or announced by the developers outside of the HYS forum or before they're implemented.

If it is important enough of a change, I would recommend contacting a developer to develop this for you.

I guess that the point is that it's a 3rd party editor, the XF team may unable to do anything much with it. I think it's time to develop XF's own editor, apart from the upload picture button, it also have issue that the font is not apply to the text in the editor when you use custom fonts, so this is not WYSIWYG.

Found the differing viewpoints interesting gentleman and as a new XF user having some validity.

I too have been frustrated by the inability of the software to 'imbed' an image via a url and having to utilize a third party (tinypic for example) to achieve that result.

I wish to 'imbed' a photo in the post, not add it as an attachment with a little thumbnail and believe in the extreme, that pressing the 'Image' button should result in offering
to utilize a url OR uploading directly from the desktop, its quite simple to implement and I suspect would make a lot of users happy, including ME. :cool:

As an addendum here, I have just acquired a website where XF is currently being used (not the current version) and should I find that after updating to the latest version
the issue has been addressed then kudos to the XF developers, if it hasn't then I shall be disappointed and reflecting on another platform which heeds its user base.

To recap gentleman and women, this function is unwieldy in its present form and should be amended, thats my opinion and the opinion of a vast number of users at my website.

I liked the first post too! Sorry I didn't see it when I posted my suggestion here.

I'd be happy just to have another text or a button onto the "Image" button popup like this:
upload_2017-1-16_19-53-36-png.146424

I really like the way it is on wordpress.

From the insert media button you get three choices: uploading, insert from URL or choose an image from the existing gallery (which has category date filters etc.)

images.webp

Last edited:
To confuse matters, In Options > messages You can specify max number of images in a post, but of course that only applies to images embedded from a URL.

It is a different place: Options > Attachments, that you specify how many images (or other files) can be attached.

Yes the end result is the same.

One of the few good features vBulletin has was the ability to insert an image from a URL but it had a tick box to fetch it and host it locally. I see images disappearing because humor sites or similar disallow hotlinking. So my member will make a post and it appears blank and they're really frustrated because the image doesn't show up.

One of the few good features vBulletin has was the ability to insert an image from a URL but it had a tick box to fetch it and host it locally. I see images disappearing because humor sites or similar disallow hotlinking. So my member will make a post and it appears blank and they're really frustrated because the image doesn't show up.
If they disallow hotlinking, doesn't that imply the images are copyright, so should not be uploaded anyway?

every image is copyrighted, including our avatars. Its not like a patent where you have to file for it. Its automatic. Artistic photography sites usually have protections built in from even allowing you to download a file. So hotlinking is usually about bandwidth.

every image is copyrighted, including our avatars.

You are right of course, what I should have said was that if they disallow hotlinking it implies no consent is given for using that image on your own site.

Bandwidth is of possible less of a consideration these days, but maybe you are right. Yet somehow it still seems to me that to download and upload someone else's image without permission is wrong on some level.

I guess if they have strong feelings they will put a copyright watermark on.

I LIKE this idea, perhaps because our MB has ised vB for several years. But we used to get one or more posts EVERY DAY asking how to insert photos into their posts. Our regular users, mods, & admins got sick & tired of answering the same stupid question - sometimes several times per day. A LARGE part of the problem was that that people didn't have ANY idea that vB's weird "framed painting of a tree" - similar to the "framed painting of a mountain" used by XF has ANYTHING to do with cameras/photos. It took me a year to figure out that the stupid tree icon WAS a tree because at 16x16pixels it's nearly impossible to figure out what the "picture" IS. Part of the solution we used was to change that stupid tree icon to a camera which is EASY to recognize at 16x16 and OBVIOUSLY has at least SOMETHING to do with photos. Since we changed that icon, we get maybe one "how do I insert a photo" question per month rather than at least one per day. Which has become a problem now that we've trained our users to click the camera to upload photos! We're converting to XF, and XF's camera icon is misleading because it doesn't have anything to do with cameras, either. The function of that camera icon is basically a photo album, NOT a camera. And it's nearly impossible to clearly represent a photo album at 16x16. When novices think PHOTO, the image that seems to pop into their heads is the camera that creates them, not the photos themselves, or the album that stores them.

I'd like to see a "One-stop photo shop" to insert photos from ANY source. It should DEFAULT to upload a new photo from their PC, but have options to download a photo from an external photo storage site, or to re-use photos they've previously uploaded to the MB. We try to discourage linking to external photos because we have a LOT of old posts that are totally useless without the photos that have disappeared from external sites.

My new users tend to have their eyes glued to the formatting icons & miss the upload button. Be good if the upload option was offered as well as URL.

Untitled-1.webp

We hate hotlinked or 3rd party hosted images so may tweak it so clicking the upload_2017-4-23_17-4-27.webp icon brings up the uploader with no option to insert an image URL at all!

Top Bottom