Implemented Include conversation content in email notification

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Thanks for adding the email notification when you get a new message. But I would also like the email to include the new message itself, so I can decide whether I do or don't want to log in to the forum to respond to it. Not every message I get is worth the time/effort to log in specially.
I agree completely. 

This could take away activity.

If you look at it like that and are only interested in hits/traffic then yes. If you want to provide your members with a functional notification where they can not bother to sign in specially to read a message that's non-urgent, then no. For me as admin/mod if I didn't have this on vB I would be spending countless hours logging in just to find someone has messaged me something that does not need a response. Full notification also enables your members who can get email but not full web access, to keep up with conversations. Eg. people who have emails pushed to their phones.

I think it's a great idea, but then so does everyone who makes a suggestion :)

I don't agree either. The whole point is to bring people to the site. If they can read the whole message in the email, there's no reason for them to visit the site, unless they want to reply right away.

I think that just getting the email is enough.

I don't agree either. The whole point is to bring people to the site. If they can read the whole message in the email, there's no reason for them to visit the site, unless they want to reply right away.

Okay, maybe a snippet of what the reply is then. That might be a help. Liz

This could take away activity.

However, if they got a PC, they're either going to ignore or reply to it? In the first case, they're unlikely to have visited in the first place, as its probably due to the user that sent the conversation. In the second, they would have come to the site in either instance, and would reply.

Theres not much traffic lose, and people are capable of reviewing the PC before they decide whether to respond.

I know for sure if someone sent me a PC, and it was someone I do not like at all, I would ignore it, and not take the time to visit it if I were not already posting on the site currently. This probably goes for most people. 

Yeah, I agree with Ingenious.
As a user I really prefer to see the message, or at least parts of it like Elizabeth suggested, so I don't need to spend time logging in just to see that it was nothing.

Making tools less helpful to gain more traffic can't be the right thing to do.

/SK

In our experience, it's actually quite common for users to reply to that email, instead of responding via the forum. So that does need to be considered.

Mike, you are absolutely correct with this.

I had users replying to the "notifications e-mail" directly (users are even replying to an e-mail-address which says "noreply@domain.com" ).

It is much better that users will have to log-in in order to read their stuff, which also increases traffic and user-participation.

KISS
Keep It Fool Proof

In our experience, it's actually quite common for users to reply to that email, instead of responding via the forum. So that does need to be considered.
Which I use as a spot check for unauthorized advertising/sales. For example if I owned WHT (which I do not) there are strict rules are in place for who should be allowed to sell hosting, including private messages (think that how it works). Yes I announced to everyone that I read the bounced emails so they are well aware of our sites policy. But either way works for me - with or without the message, in that regard.

A far bigger problem is that there is no way to search the PCs. I have thousands of PMs currently and search my email notifications for the content/date, then scroll back in my PMs to find the PM of interest.

As Liz said a snippet would be perfect, sometimes you see the conversation before the email so seeing a quick snippet would allow me to distinguish if I've read it already.

KISS
Keep It Fool Proof

There's keeping it fool proof and there's dumbing it down to the lowest common denominator! On my forum I use a do not reply email, so if they reply to the notification it gets bounced back, they soon learn.

So, why not have an admin option. Yes/No to include message text in outgoing notifications (must be quite a simple thing to add), and an option to specify the reply-to email address in case you want to manage bounces? Then everyone's happy and it won't require mod to implement.

However, if they got a PC, they're either going to ignore or reply to it? In the first case, they're unlikely to have visited in the first place, as its probably due to the user that sent the conversation. In the second, they would have come to the site in either instance, and would reply.

Theres not much traffic lose, and people are capable of reviewing the PC before they decide whether to respond.

I know for sure if someone sent me a PC, and it was someone I do not like at all, I would ignore it, and not take the time to visit it if I were not already posting on the site currently. This probably goes for most people.

Nevertheless, IMO, receiving the email notification is enough. :)

On my forum I use a do not reply email, so if they reply to the notification it gets bounced back, they soon learn.
What happens if it is an 'out of office' auto reply message to the notification email? Infinite loop?
  • email notification of PM
  • an email is sent back to you that says "Sorry, I am out of the office until next week, I will reply to your email then."
  • your site is set up to bounce emails back.
  • Then the out of office email is then again sent back to you.
?

They wouldn't be out of the office when they reply? If there's been any infinite loops about the place I've certainly not noticed them :)

As I suggested above, an admin option to toggle on/off the message content would ensure everyone is happy.

Can we turn it off?
Personal conversations content on my sites are preferred to stay on the site and rather not have them disclosed in inboxes that might be shared with third parties (such as people using their business emails, etc).

Top Bottom