In your opinion, how many online users can i have with this server?

cedivad

Actually, this is the most powerfull server i have: http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/eg_ssd.xml

Specs:
Xeon Quad Core @ 2.66Ghz​
12Gb of RAM​
SSD hard disk (Intel X25-M)​
Nginx webserver​
I have a brand new forum (so the database is almost empty), and to start it i will pay to get adversided on a very popular newsletter. I expect around 100'000 users in 2 /4hours. Let's suppose that every user will visit 2 pages (forum index + random page).
Now: in 3 hours there are 3600*3=10'000 seconds. 200'000 page views in 10'000 seconds are 20 pages every second. I'm not used to work with such a load, i usually have no more than 5 hits per second (on custom scripts, really optimized), and most are from bots that don't download images.
So i don't really know where to start from. I will use an external CDN to serve everthing what is different than the .php script pages.

Will the server blow up?
Should i use stuff like EC2?
Should i use an array of servers (like 3 server for the web stuff and the server above for the database)?
Is there any great tool (linux, command line based) to test servers under such a load?

If anyone can suggest something, i will be happy =)
This can also become a great case-study to test the xf app and how it works on heavy loads =)

Thank you everyone.

i will pay to get adversided on a very popular newsletter. I expect around 100'000 users in 2 /4hours.
Does that mean 100,000 users in 2 to 4 hours in English? Don't you think your expectations might be a little, I don't know, unrealistic?

It sounds like you intend to rent a cruise ship to take your family out fishing.

You advertise for your 100.000 users with a - let's say 5 $ cpm - and get within the two to four hours (100.000 users x 2 / 1.000=) 200 x 5 cpm=1.000 $. If after your advertising there are only 200.000 page views daily, you'd make 30.000 $ / month. Not realistic, though there are thousands of websites which make much more.

The server is a good one, take it.

Does that mean 100,000 users in 2 to 4 hours in English? Don't you think your expectations might be a little, I don't know, unrealistic?
Agreed. No way anyone would ever get 100,000 people visiting in a 4 hour span. Viral videos and the like can hit those numbers, but not an ad on a newsletter.

It sounds like you intend to rent a cruise ship to take your family out fishing.
It sounds quite realistic to me :D

You advertise for your 100.000 users with a - let's say 5 $ cpm - and get within the two to four hours (100.000 users x 2 / 1.000=) 200 x 5 cpm=1.000 $. If after your advertising there are only 200.000 page views daily, you'd make 30.000 $ / month. Not realistic, though there are thousands of websites which make much more.
Forums cpms are know to be low, however the goal of this is not to build a revenue stream, it's to build a great forum. This website will be tagged as "passive" on my balance for a long time.

The server is a good one, take it.
I already have it :p

Agreed. No way anyone would ever get 100,000 people visiting in a 4 hour span. Viral videos and the like can hit those numbers, but not an ad on a newsletter.
You don't know the target, you don't know the newsletter, you don't know the banner, you don't know what i'm offering and to whom i'm offering.
Belive me, usually i don't do mistakes on this web related stuff ;)
However, this time i would be happy to be wrong - 100k hits is way to much for that "little" box.

If these specs are for a dedi, I don't see anyone offering at this rate. 12GB RAM?

you could have a a coloco for about 70-100 you supply the hardware and software.... Or I can hook you up with rackspace for $900 (you provide the hardware too :D)

Do you expect them all at the same time, or spread out ?

If spread out, that server should not have much of an issue, its barely 10 a second.

If they all hit you at once, its gonna die pretty damn fast.

Do you expect them all at the same time, or spread out ?

If spread out, that server should not have much of an issue, its barely 10 a second.

If they all hit you at once, its gonna die pretty damn fast.
Well sure, maybe the firewall will enable due to flood attack :D
However i'm asking the advertising agent in how many hours i should expect to receive the traffic.

You don't know the target, you don't know the newsletter, you don't know the banner, you don't know what i'm offering and to whom i'm offering.
I don't care if you're offering free meat to starving dogs, 100,000 members in 4 hours is not going to happen.

You know, in my opinion. But I often make mistakes on this web-related stuff.

I don't care if you're offering free meat to starving dogs, 100,000 members in 4 hours is not going to happen.

You know, in my opinion. But I often make mistakes on this web-related stuff.
Not 100k members, 100k hits!

Top Bottom