1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In your opinion, how many online users can i have with this server?

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by cedivad, Nov 5, 2010.

1. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

Actually, this is the most powerfull server i have: http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/eg_ssd.xml

Specs:
    Xeon Quad Core @ 2.66Ghz​
    12Gb of RAM​
    SSD hard disk (Intel X25-M)​
    Nginx webserver​

I have a brand new forum (so the database is almost empty), and to start it i will pay to get adversided on a very popular newsletter. I expect around 100'000 users in 2 /4hours. Let's suppose that every user will visit 2 pages (forum index + random page).
    Now: in 3 hours there are 3600*3=10'000 seconds. 200'000 page views in 10'000 seconds are 20 pages every second. I'm not used to work with such a load, i usually have no more than 5 hits per second (on custom scripts, really optimized), and most are from bots that don't download images.
    So i don't really know where to start from. I will use an external CDN to serve everthing what is different than the .php script pages.

Will the server blow up?
    Should i use stuff like EC2?
    Should i use an array of servers (like 3 server for the web stuff and the server above for the database)?
    Is there any great tool (linux, command line based) to test servers under such a load?

If anyone can suggest something, i will be happy =)
    This can also become a great case-study to test the xf app and how it works on heavy loads =)

Thank you everyone.

2. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

Up? To hard to answer? :p

3. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

4. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

Does that mean 100,000 users in 2 to 4 hours in English? Don't you think your expectations might be a little, I don't know, unrealistic?

It sounds like you intend to rent a cruise ship to take your family out fishing.

Forsaken likes this.
  5. Marcus

Marcus Well-Known Member

You advertise for your 100.000 users with a - let's say 5 $ cpm - and get within the two to four hours (100.000 users x 2 / 1.000=) 200 x 5 cpm=1.000 $. If after your advertising there are only 200.000 page views daily, you'd make 30.000 $ / month. Not realistic, though there are thousands of websites which make much more.

The server is a good one, take it.

6. Wired

Wired Active Member

Agreed. No way anyone would ever get 100,000 people visiting in a 4 hour span. Viral videos and the like can hit those numbers, but not an ad on a newsletter.

7. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

It sounds quite realistic to me :D

Forums cpms are know to be low, however the goal of this is not to build a revenue stream, it's to build a great forum. This website will be tagged as "passive" on my balance for a long time.

I already have it :p

You don't know the target, you don't know the newsletter, you don't know the banner, you don't know what i'm offering and to whom i'm offering.
    Belive me, usually i don't do mistakes on this web related stuff ;)
    However, this time i would be happy to be wrong - 100k hits is way to much for that "little" box.

8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Please let us know how it works out. :)

9. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

I will be really really happy to keep this great board updated, it's always a pleasure to float around here ;)

Walter and Dean like this.
  10. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

All this costs you like under 100 EUR a month?

11. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

The server? Actually i'm paying it 80€ + 20% of taxes, so yes, around 100€/month.

12. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

Andy 100 Euros are about 150 box so same thing here too hooked to a better backbone

13. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

If these specs are for a dedi, I don't see anyone offering at this rate. 12GB RAM?

Blandt likes this.
  14. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

oh ! no :D

15. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

you could have a a coloco for about 70-100 you supply the hardware and software.... Or I can hook you up with rackspace for $900 (you provide the hardware too :D)

16. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Do you expect them all at the same time, or spread out ?

If spread out, that server should not have much of an issue, its barely 10 a second.

If they all hit you at once, its gonna die pretty damn fast.

17. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

Well sure, maybe the firewall will enable due to flood attack :D
    However i'm asking the advertising agent in how many hours i should expect to receive the traffic.

18. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

I don't care if you're offering free meat to starving dogs, 100,000 members in 4 hours is not going to happen.

You know, in my opinion. But I often make mistakes on this web-related stuff.

19. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

Not 100k members, 100k hits!

20. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Is there any reason why you would be expecting this much traffic?