XF 1.2 In what cases does the stock importer not import users?

Alpha1

After running the stock importer on a clean 1.2 install not all members are imported. This includes the main admin account. (I used a different account for admin on the clean install to avoid import conflicts, so name, email, etc are all different)
What could be the reason for this?

How can I rerun the user import?

You haven't said what you're actually importing from. There isn't a known issue, but it will depend what you're importing from.

Roughly how many members didn't import? Was there anything in common about them?

You can't re-run a step. You would need to do a fresh install and restart.

Note that if you choose to preserve the source ids and your source admin account is userid 1 then it will be merged with XF's default admin account which is also userid 1.

Thanks Jake. That makes a lot of sense.

If you compare vbulletin to xenforo and the different ways of calculating members: how can I check if the XF installation has the same number of users? I can easily see the total number of users in vbulletin as well as the total for each usergroup. But in XenForo I'm not sure how to do this. I see a total which is much less than the vb total. I understand that this is partially caused by XF not counting some usergroups. I'm not sure which. Does xenforo count:
  1. banned users
  2. users awaiting moderation
  3. users awaiting email confirmation
Does anyone have a clue how to find out which members are missing? I can see various usergroups that have members missing. Mostly a few dozen per group. I'm not sure how to identify the missing users in a couple of hundreds of thousands.

I also find that the registered members group has 136.481 users instead of 104.968 this group has in vbulletin. Has the users awaiting email confirmation group(30.316 users) and the users awaiting email confirmation group(1492 users) been added to this group? That still does not add up, but brings it a lot closer.

Last edited:
I see a total which is much less than the vb total. I understand that this is partially caused by XF not counting some usergroups. I'm not sure which.

XenForo excludes invalid (awaiting email confirmation or moderation) and banned users from the total member count.

I also find that the registered members group has 136.481 users instead of 104.968 this group has in vbulletin. Has the users awaiting email confirmation group(30.316 users) and the users awaiting email confirmation group(1492 users) been added to this group? That still does not add up, but brings it a lot closer.

XenForo combines users awaiting email confirmation, users awaiting moderation, and banned users into one group. It then uses the "user_state" flag to indicate those statuses.

If I add up all users in the various XF usergroups, then this totals 443 users less than vbulletin. I have no clue how to find the missing users.
I understand that xenforo does not import members who have no email address. Does anyone know how to find vb users who have no email address?
Are there other issues that may lead to users not getting imported?

It would have been very handy to be able to add a table in this post to display the various usergroup totals and difference between vb and xf.
Here is an overview:
  • registered users: vb 104964, xf 136408, difference 31444
  • awaiting email confirmation: vb 30323, xf N/A
  • awaiting moderation: vb 1503, xf N/A
  • banned: vb 4351, xf 4348, difference 3
  • usergroup 10: vb 150, xf 149, difference 1
  • usergroup 11: vb 178, xf 177, difference 1
  • usergroup 12: vb 36211, xf 36170, difference 41
  • usergroup 13: vb 5452, xf 5439, difference 13
  • usergroup 14: vb 279, xf 278, difference 1
All other usergroups have no differences between vb and XF totals.

XenForo excludes invalid (awaiting email confirmation or moderation) and banned users from the total member count.
Are you sure? It seems that XF does include banned members in the total.

XenForo combines users awaiting email confirmation, users awaiting moderation, and banned users into one group. It then uses the "user_state" flag to indicate those statuses.
The total of registered users in XF is 136408. The total of the vb groups banned, awaiting moderation, awaiting confirmation is 141141.

Use phpmyadmin to find those.
I found 77 users in the vb DB that had no email address. However these users were imported.

Give me access to phpmyadmin for both databases. I will find an explanation for you.
Will do. As my servers and services are IP whitelisted I will need your IP address by PC.
Thanks.
Does XF ACP have a query box or should this be done from phpmyadmin only?
Anyway, the result is:
newCount oldCount
183199 183271
So there is a difference of 72 merged users.

The result of the second query is: #1146 - Table 'xxx_test14.final_archived_import_log' doesn't exist.

OK. I think I found it. The answer is pretty stupid. I imported from the live database and the 400 users are likely new registrants since the start of the import. o_O
Next import I will use a copy of the live DB.

I did find that the users without an email address did not get their posts imported though, which is a bit weird.

Last edited:
Yes, I will need to check which 72 accounts were merged and review those. How do I find the merged accounts?

Now the same query on import_log results in no differences. Quite weird.

Note that merging only happens automatically based on what you selected before the step. Otherwise, you'll be prompted with what to do with the accounts. This query should show you the new ID that everything was merged into along with the old IDs that were merged into it. (One result per merge target.)

Code:
SELECT new_id, GROUP_CONCAT(old_id)
FROM xf_import_log
WHERE content_type = 'user'
GROUP BY new_id
HAVING COUNT(*) > 1;

I must be missing something or I've got something modelled wrong in my head. Do you think you could dump the xf_import_log table, zip it up and send it to me?

Top Bottom