Lack of interest In Reply To information?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

click here

In Reply To information - Provide reply information from thread tree for use in postbits.

Have you guys thought of adding "reply to" info to messages so people know exactly what message is being replied to in a long thread? A lot of times in long threads where multiple people are replying in the same thread it's nice to know who is replying to who without always having to quote someone.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
In Reply To information - Provide reply information from thread tree for use in postbits.

Have you guys thought of adding "reply to" info to messages so people know exactly what message is being replied to in a long thread? A lot of times in long threads where multiple people are replying in the same thread it's nice to know who is replying to who without always having to quote someone.
Quote basically does the same thing and is the same as hitting a "reply" button. There is no way the system can automatically detect who is replying to whom. Even to "reply" someone would have to hit the reply button.

Have you guys thought of adding "reply to" info to messages so people know exactly what message is being replied to in a long thread?
What would this "reply to" information look like? Would it be something like this?

"Reply to post #43"

If so, I don't think this is better than quoting the relevant bits of a post. Seeing information like that, users would have to go back to that post to see what the reply is in response to, whereas relevant quoting is right there in the reply post and so easier to see.

It would be similar to "Posted in reply to Daniel Hood's post "In Reply To information"

In large threads a lot of people simply hit the reply button and not the quote button so you can get lost as far as who is replying to who... I have posts where people have been quoted 20-30 times so someone browsing the thread for the first time would get to see the same quoted text 20-30 times in one thread. Anyway, just a thought as I have this (add-on/hack) on a couple of my VB 3.8 forums and it was heavily asked for.

The Reply button does quote. Unless you're referring to the Multi-Quote feature, which if they don't use that, then I don't see how they'd use an "In reply to" button that does basically the same thing. I'm sorry but I'm just not understanding how this is different (or better rather) than the current set up.

The Reply button does quote. Unless you're referring to the Multi-Quote feature, which if they don't use that, then I don't see how they'd use an "In reply to" button that does basically the same thing. I'm sorry but I'm just not understanding how this is different (or better rather) than the current set up.
There is no "In reply to" button it's auto created like a time stamp on a thread...

My guess is the software would pick up the info from which reply button was clicked as there is a reply button on everyone's unique post. I have threads with over 500+ replies so maybe it's just more of my situation. lol

It really sounds like you just either need to :
  • customize the javascript to not go to the bottom of the page when 'Reply' is clicked or
  • edit the template to remove 'Reply' and change '+ Quote' to 'Reply' and force them to use the multi quote functionality
If you're relying on your users to click 'Reply' there's no reason to break away from the current quoting method, you just need them to not click one -> get dragged to the bottom of the page in the reply box -> type responses to other people -> submit. You want all quotes in the textarea before they get to the bottom.

I hate the non-elective quoting via 'reply' & am amazed so many don't see what the fuss is about. I guess it depends on your content. Short snappy posts of a few lines maybe not a problem - long posts with loads of pics, it's a PITA.

This is a great idea & simple enough. We have it on our EOL platform as an admin config'd feature (along with loads more we're going to have to get used to not having control over wihout add-ons & edits).

With it disabled 'reply' just replies. With it enabled it puts a bookmark link to the replied-to post, much like the little up arrow in the XF quote so you can jump to the post should you be racked with ambiguity.

Untitled-1.webp

Sadly (in some ways - not so in others) we're being migrated to XF as I type so have to deploy add-ons to rid ourself of this tool of screen real-estate theft. On balance XF is going to be a better home but this reply/quote thing would cause wars on my forums if it wasn't possible to disable it.

I hate the non-elective quoting via 'reply' & am amazed so many don't see what the fuss is about. I guess it depends on your content. Short snappy posts of a few lines maybe not a problem - long posts with loads of pics, it's a PITA.

This is a great idea & simple enough. We have it on our EOL platform as an admin config'd feature (along with loads more we're going to have to get used to not having control over wihout add-ons & edits).

With it disabled 'reply' just replies. With it enabled it puts a bookmark link to the replied-to post, much like the little up arrow in the XF quote so you can jump to the post should you be racked with ambiguity.

View attachment 108825

Sadly (in some ways - not so in others) we're being migrated to XF as I type so have to deploy add-ons to rid ourself of this tool of screen real-estate theft. On balance XF is going to be a better home but this reply/quote thing would cause wars on my forums if it wasn't possible to disable it.

1) I much prefer seeing the text of the quoted post, especially if it's on a different page. I get this is user preference though.
2) If you want to disable quoting entirely, just edit the template bb_code_tag_quote with something along the lines of:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$source}">
 <a href="{xen:link 'goto/{$source.type}', '', 'id={$source.id}'}#{$source.type}-{$source.id}" class="AttributionLink">In response to {$nameHtml}</a>
</xen:if>

1) I much prefer seeing the text of the quoted post, especially if it's on a different page. I get this is user preference though.
2) If you want to disable quoting entirely, just edit the template bb_code_tag_quote with something along the lines of:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$source}">
<a href="{xen:link 'goto/{$source.type}', '', 'id={$source.id}'}#{$source.type}-{$source.id}" class="AttributionLink">In response to {$nameHtml}</a>
</xen:if>

I don't like it as stated but if it helps with clarity have the above quote on the house. ;)

Thanks for the code. I've deployed AndyB's 'add-off' for now. I wish to keep the elective quoting features via highlight & +quote as I think they are really good.

Last edited:
As rwm1962 pointed out a big thing is all the screen real estate used if the same person is quoted multiple times all over the thread... I imagine my users will moan for a few weeks and get used to the change I hope.
Do you have a link to AndyB's 'add-off'?

Top Bottom