In my never ceasing efforts to educated Americans, first aircraft flight ....

Jethro

Unfort my claims that the first manned flight was actually by a New Zealander, Richard Pearse on 31st March 1903 from Waitohi Flat Temuka some nine months before the Wright brothers belatedly got in on the act, may have been trumped by French claims of the first flight.

Apparently Clement Ader on 9th October 1890 took to the air on board the Eole for something of an uncontrolled flight.

This one may need further research .....

Unfort my claims that the first manned flight was actually by a New Zealander, Richard Pearse on 31st March 1903 from Waitohi Flat Temuka some nine months before the Wright brothers belatedly got in on the act, may have been trumped by French claims of the first flight.

Apparently Clement Ader on 9th October 1890 took to the air on board the Eole for something of an uncontrolled flight.

If it makes you feel better, I know a lot of people who say Henry Ford created the first car :rolleyes:.

I don't think anybody is claiming that !! Ford claim is that he was the first to mass-produce the car and made it affordable.
Yeah but the thing is people say things they believe is true without investigating....then you get schoolbooks saying columbus discovered America...what about the people who were already here ( I guess they didn't exist until they were discovered) ...all visitors did was put a flag on it and stamp it. Pretty much all things were invented or discovered by someone...unfortunately politics usually decide who gets the credit.

Very good thread Jethro.

Yeah but the thing is people say things they believe is true without investigating....then you get schoolbooks saying columbus discovered America...what about the people who were already here ( I guess they didn't exist until they were discovered) ...all visitors did was put a flag on it and stamp it. Pretty much all things were invented or discovered by someone...unfortunately politics usually decide who gets the credit.

Very good thread Jethro.
What? It doesn't work the same as a video game, where people suddenly appear when you walk within visibility? I feel so lied to!

Actually, I believe the first man to fly was Icarus ;D

I don't think anybody is claiming that !! Ford claim is that he was the first to mass-produce the car and made it affordable.

Hi Nizar Meddeb

I think you will find Oldsmobile were the first to mass produce cars in 1901 :) Henry Ford's claim to fame was the moving assembly line 2 years later

Regards

Dereck

Source??

This was someone on a forum I was on a few years ago; he claimed Ford created the -first- car, and everything else was a rip off :rolleyes:.

Similar to the person who wrote into Universal over their recent "Wolf Man" remake claiming it ripped off "Twilight" ... exactly zero research.

Hi Jethro

Nobody even knows that the first powered flight was in 1848 and took place in the U.K only a few miles from my home town in a place called Chard. The aeroplane was powered by a small steam engine.

Read all about the first powered flight

Regards

Dereck

Reading more about that one, were they just models or actually a manned powered craft?

Similar to Henry Ford, I think the Wright Brothers are more famous because they were the first to make it practical, they came up with several of the controls we use in modern air craft and were some of the first to actually manufacture air planes for use.

Ford claim is that he was the first to mass-produce the car and made it affordable.
Duh. Everybody knows that. That's where the word afFordable came from.

The first French car engines used urine and cat hides as fuel rather than gasoline, so you can't really count them. Not practical.

And it has been verified that manned flight was first achieved in Jamaica in 1804, and the methods that they pioneered are still in use today. Richard Branson owns all the patents. That's how he became so wealthy.

I have to say, I'm really shocked at the lack of knowledge out there. All the fairy tales people believe in!

Reading more about that one, were they just models or actually a manned powered craft?

Similar to Henry Ford, I think the Wright Brothers are more famous because they were the first to make it practical, they came up with several of the controls we use in modern air craft and were some of the first to actually manufacture air planes for use.

Both were manned powered flights, but then you get into the grey murky waters of what constitutes flight and how you record the actual date of the flight? I'm not an expert here but would imagine there's a sort of Turing equiv test for flight perhaps? Arguably the Wright Brothers are more famous due to the U.S media of the time and the speed of communications.

Both were manned powered flights, but then you get into the grey murky waters of what constitutes flight and how you record the actual date of the flight? I'm not an expert here but would imagine there's a sort of Turing equiv test for flight perhaps? Arguably the Wright Brothers are more famous due to the U.S media of the time and the speed of communications.

As with all things, it's how you market yourself eh?

Top Bottom