Not planned Improvement of tooltips - Tippy.js

grisha2217

Hi all. I found great library to create own tooltips. There are nice and smooth.

e4hfOfa.png

Demo:

The library has a lot of settings. Current tooltip style has bad animation and design, I think using this library will better for XenForo.

Last edited:
Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I mean, there's really barely any difference in design to our built in tooltips:

1574979214389.webp

Regardless, our tooltip system is already a fully-fledged library, really, that has a lot of settings and supports multiple styles of tooltip (the member tooltip is powered by the same system, for example) with AJAX remote loading of tooltip content, various gesture and trigger support and much more.

We have no plans to replace it with a third party system so your time would be better spent being more specific about what you'd like to see change in the existing tooltip system.

I mean, there's really barely any difference in design to our built in tooltips:

View attachment 214298

Regardless, our tooltip system is already a fully-fledged library, really, that has a lot of settings and supports multiple styles of tooltip (the member tooltip is powered by the same system, for example) with AJAX remote loading of tooltip content, various gesture and trigger support and much more.

We have no plans to replace it with a third party system so your time would be better spent being more specific about what you'd like to see change in the existing tooltip system.

Me: can we have better tooltips?
Chris D: we already have

1c5.jpg

I checked the demo page for Tippy, and completely agree with Chris there's nothing this library technically brings that's either not present or achievable already with Xenforo's tooltip system, or couldn't easily be appended with some approved feature requests. (The theme-ing aspect can already be done with Style Properties). That being said, most of the pizazz that Tippy offers is stylistic, such as user-selected animations, pop-in effects, etc.

These can technically already be done using added CSS - only difference is that you have to do so manually vs clicking a checkbox to do it for you.

I think some of this is due to the spirit of Xenforo, in which they'll often package very solid and sufficient features, but leave stylistic enhancements or extensions up to theme designers or addon developers. Xenforo core could easily explode to cumbersome levels if they packaged libraries worth of enhancements to many existing features. But this is just my opinion.

Top Bottom