This idea has come from seeing quite a lot of people get stuck when installing add-ons.
I think sometimes us "techies" take it too much for granted that things are "easy". But it's only easy if you know how and I think what already sets XenForo light years ahead of any other product is already how easy it is to use and customise. Perhaps it could be made even easier.
So here's an idea which I'm going to call RIM (Resource Installation Manager).
The concept is as follows:
- User downloads a resource from the Resource Manager. Usually a ZIP file.
- User logs in to Admin CP.
- User goes to the Resource Installation Manager.
- User browses their computer for the ZIP file.
- User clicks Install.
- Automatic Rebuild.
From a technical point of view:
- There needs to be some sort of way of XenForo or PHP to unpack a ZIP file.
- There needs to be an absolute concrete standard layout to the ZIP files. Similar to how it is now but strict with no deviation whatsoever. Probably:
addonID.zip: | addonID.xml | upload | js | addonID | youraddon.js | library | addonID | youraddon.php | styles | addonID | youraddon.png
- A nice to have would be a summary screen before the process starts that details the files that will be uploaded and the add-on title, description and support details.
I think it could be a great addition to the core just to make the process of customising XenForo even easier to benefit those who don't find it quite as easy as us