Lack of interest Improved Search Engine

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Amaury

I wasn't able to find anything regarding this with a search beforehand.

The default XenForo search engine is not meant for big forums, but the thing is most of the forums out there are big forums -- it's pretty rare to see small forums out there (e.g., KH-Flare). I end up having to search multiple times over on a XenForo forum I'm a member of before content will show up because the search engine just can't handle all of the existing content.

Because of this, I think either Elastic Search should be included in XenForo or XenForo's search engine should be improved to work like or similar to Elastic Search.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Enhanced Search can't be installed on all servers, especially shared hosting.

Including it as part of the core software just isn't practical, nor feasible.

The default search is a function of MySQL.

Enhanced Search can't be installed on all servers, especially shared hosting.

Including it as part of the core software just isn't practical, nor feasible.

The default search is a function of MySQL.

That I didn't know, so thanks for clarifying.

So the default XenForo search engine relies on sites' servers, not XenForo, correct?

Yes. The front search within XenForo just uses a backend that can be swapped out with proper interaction coding (ie, telling the software how to interact with search backend x).

Yes. The front search within XenForo just uses a backend that can be swapped out with proper interaction coding (ie, telling the software how to interact with search backend x).

Think you could elaborate a little, Jeremy? Is the front end search this? What exactly do you mean by "interact with search backend x"?

Yes, that is the front end. By default the backend for searching is mySQL. With Enhanced Search it is Elastic Search. If a developer so wished, they could easily implement Sphinx search as the backend. The system is independent of the backend that is used.

Jeremy, just curious. Would it be possible to add a specific google site search as a backend, if an admin didn't want to use the default search or ES for performance, or other, reasons?

I know it would have to be developed, but it appears it would be do-able?

Not in the method I described, no. You can update the front end to implement Google Site Search and replace XenForo's implementations completely.

I find both methods to be not that productive, Elastic search or MySQL. Maybe I expect too much?
anyway, site:xenforo.com "whatever I want" (with/without quotes) on Google gives me much more relevant results anytime I search anything I need.

Top Bottom