Improved Posting Due To Elastic Search

Anthony Parsons

After purchasing ES for my main site, after only a few days with it running, there is a approximate 40% increase in daily postings all due to members being able to now efficiently find content quickly, the first time, thus posting onto it.

Before, so many search queries weren't being returned due to the inefficiency of MySQL search.

As a result, bugger the big board approach, I'm going to be installing ES on all my sites simply due to the fact it is showing a clear and significant increase in posting since its installation a few days ago, and my server stats aren't showing any increase in traffic to account for it.

These figures have been quite steady for months, bar the obvious decrease for the holiday period.

Screen shot 2012-01-25 at 5.00.06 PM.webp

Obviously I will monitor this... though there is nothing new to account for such an increase in posting other than a vastly improved search capability.

Just goes to show how one small improvement can dramatically change users actions when they can accurately find content.

Speed - it's faster than MySQL fulltext search on larger datasets.

Quicker reindexing - in my experience it reindexes much faster than MySQL standard search (not something that needs doing with any sort of regularity, but useful when you do have to reindex).

Stemming - which matches similar words and can help bring back a broader set of results than a fixed "absolute" term search; for example, searching for "load" may also bring back results containing loaded, loading and loads. (I find this feature very helpful on CycleChat and will be adding XFES to GeeksChat once my budget allows - despite it's small size.)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

I went and posted on your cycle forum. I love your forum but I unfortunately don't have time to be on too many forums right now. I hope some time I will have the time to spend more time on your site.

It used about an extra 400Mb of Ram. I believe the specifications for this is about 1gig of RAM for every million posts, and based on that, my RAM increase is about correct for my one main site, about the same posts as XF, and two smaller newer startups.

Top Bottom