Lack of interest improve UI / username missing at own Avatar / reply-box

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

erich37

improve UI / username missing at own Avatar / reply-box

since there is no username (my own username at the reply-box), this is confusing for new users, especially if they want to post a reply to a thread, but have not yet uploaded their Avatar-image.

I initially thought this is a bug at my own Forum, but checking this now it is really confusing for a new user and when you have no Avatar-image uploaded.
A new user who is not very familiar with Forums, would not expect that this is "his" box to reply, since there is no image and also no username showing at the "reply-box".

username-missing-at-editor.gif

no-confusion.gif

:coffee:

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
A new user who is not very familiar with Forums, would not expect that this is "his" box to reply, since there is no image and also no username showing at the "reply-box".

Personally I can't see that it's too hard to work out, there's a big text area with 'Post Reply' underneath it.

Personally I can't see that it's too hard to work out, there's a big text with 'Post Reply' underneath it.

yeah, you are probably a very young guy, probably also a "Forum-Admin" and probably also quite used to using Forums and also experienced with using XenForo.

But imagine there are other people out there, who are at the age of 50, have never used a Forum and have never used XenForo. Try thinking out of the box... :censored:

:cool:

yeah, you are probably a very young guy, probably also a "Forum-Admin" and probably also quite used to using Forums and also experienced with using XenForo.

But imagine there are other people out there, who are at the age of 50, have never used a Forum and have never used XenForo. Try thinking out of the box... :censored:

But it's no different to VB or IPB

You stated about people who haven't used XF, I was merely saying that XF is no different from the others.

I just don't see how having the name beside the reply box will make it anymore obvious that it's where you reply than it already is.

If the QR editor with 'Post Reply' button below it doesn't make it obvious that that's where you type and reply, then that person probably should learn to work with a computer first. I do not think that age can be an excuse if this is considered confusing. Adding the username there IMO destroys the simplicity and look of this particular style element with no benefit to a majority of users. Actually I think it would make it more confusing as with the username added it looks similar to an actual post. If it's a problem for certain communities, it may be better to remove the avatar there and replace it with the username. But I see no reason to make this the default for every community as most have no trouble with it.

You can do this with template edits.

I don't want this in the core. I'm 99.9% sure that MOST users (even those you refer to) wouldn't have an issue with this. At the end of the day, there's a speech bubble shape with their own avatar in it they would not need to see their name there.

Actually I think it would make it more confusing as with the username added it looks similar to an actual post.

Why would it be more confusing when you add a Username towards an Avatar ?
Looking at the overall XenForo-design, I see everywhere usernames somehow attached to Avatars, even if it's your own Avatar.
I can not see any Avatar without an associated Username.

Why would it look similar to an actual post ?
The Editor is visible, so I do not think that the Editor would be confused with a post.

Top Bottom