In its current setup XenForo's minimum age function is not really functional.
If a user younger than the minimum age tries to register an account, then XenForo does not take note of this. Instead the minor can simply continue registration. The XenForo software actually asks the minor to commit fraud and correct their date of birth:
The minor is asked to correct the error of a date of birth field that indicates being to young.
The minor can then simply correct this and register an account.
The staff will have no way of knowing that the user is actually a minor on an adult board.
If the minor would indeed stop registration (very unlikely) there is no way to get the person back to the site after reaching the desired age.
Please mind that age restrictions are very important for some sites, because some topics are restricted by law or can cause media outrage if minors are found to be on sites.
I am suggesting the above functionality to be improved in whatever way possible.
On my big board we get about 4k registrations per month. Including a good number of underage people. We have coded a solution (on vb) that has proved to work well over the years. Maybe a similar setup could be implemented for XenForo:
- minors can register normally.
- when registration is complete, the system bans them with a friendly message explaining why they can not use their account and when they will be able to use their account.
- When they reach the desired age they are automatically unbanned and receive an email welcoming them back.
- If the user has filled in an erroneous DoB then they can upload the documents to prove this.
- Once a staff member reviews the documents the DoB can be changed by the staff member.
- If the user registers a second account then a duplicate account detection function alerts the staff.