Impressive!

Speaking of xenforo related domains, I wonder where did the idea come about using the word Xen.

Maybe Kier or Mike were avid fans of Xena - The Warrior Princess :)
51Y9STC06DL.jpg

Foro is forum in Spanish, correct?

Speaking of xenforo related domains, I wonder where did the idea come about using the word Xen.

So "XenForo" is short for Spanish Princess? :D

I've personally always liked how vBulletin in the past had vBulletin.org, it was really well done as EVERYONE was just focused on being at vBulletin.org instead of creating 20 mods sites and skins sites like it happened with IPB, and now they cannot get everyone together at IPB site for resources. But that's just me.

I've personally always liked how vBulletin in the past had vBulletin.org, it was really well done as EVERYONE was just focused on being at vBulletin.org instead of creating 20 mods sites and skins sites like it happened with IPB, and now they cannot get everyone together at IPB site for resources. But that's just me.

This will be the support -and- modding community.

As long as people don't try to split it off to monetize off it of course.

It's just called the free market, it's what makes the world work, everyone wants their piece of the pie.

It is also good to have competition, it keeps you on your toes meaning you are always trying to stay one step ahead, just having one site can make something feel stale very quickly and due to the lack of choice customers will go for a 'better supported' option.

Why limit yourself, though?

If you want your own Web site, have your own original name. That way you can have a category for XF, VB, IPB add ons, as well as releasing them on the official forums, too.
It would just seem more logical to do it this way, rather than only having a site dedicated to your own XF add ons. Then you're under the pressure of having to release more than a few quality add ons; what's a site with only 3 or 5 add ons listed? Just have them categorized, as well as released to the official venues and you should be set~ No wasted money, and an allowance for plenty of diversity, too.

The one big exception I can see to this is language support. Offering a service to those that speak German, Spanish, Chinese, etc. would definitely be well received, and warrant its own thing. Otherwise, unless you have a group of people willing to hack together some add ons, a site for 1 person using an XF name seems a bit of a waste.

Why limit yourself, though?

If you want your own Web site, have your own original name. That way you can have a category for XF, VB, IPB add ons, as well as releasing them on the official forums, too.
It would just seem more logical to do it this way, rather than only having a site dedicated to your own XF add ons. Then you're under the pressure of having to release more than a few quality add ons; what's a site with only 3 or 5 add ons listed? Just have them categorized, as well as released to the official venues and you should be set~ No wasted money, and an allowance for plenty of diversity, too.

The one big exception I can see to this is language support. Offering a service to those that speak German, Spanish, Chinese, etc. would definitely be well received, and warrant its own thing. Otherwise, unless you have a group of people willing to hack together some add ons, a site for 1 person using an XF name seems a bit of a waste.
One smart thing to do, is take your suggestion a step further and use your XF-flavored domain to point towards your site/directory of addons related to XF-only. For example, I have mycooladdons.com/xenforo, then point coolxfaddons.com to that URL. Then you'll feel special, own a XF domain, yet not feeling like you need to fill up that website to feel like you're getting your money's worth.

One smart thing to do, is take your suggestion a step further and use your XF-flavored domain to point towards your site/directory of addons related to XF-only. For example, I have mycooladdons.com/xenforo, then point coolxfaddons.com to that URL. Then you'll feel special, own a XF domain, yet not feeling like you need to fill up that website to feel like you're getting your money's worth.
That is an approach I may end up taking with some of my stuff as well. I am using a custom licensing/downloads & support ticket system that was developed for vBulletin and it does it's job nicely. I've been trying to figure out out how to handle XF downloads on an XF powered site without that system for when the day comes that we are ready for XF conversions. At least for me, I may end up doing what you described... forwarding some of the domains to a sub-forum over at the main vB powered site (unless there is some way I could share users between the XF site and the vB site).

51Y9STC06DL.jpg

Considering I have a unique love for the Warrior Princess, the above post is full of win. :D

Top Bottom