XF 1.3 Importing with new SMF 2.0 importer

leemy

Really glad to see an SMF importer for XF, thanks guys! Question: is it still in 'beta' mode, or should I go for the import of my forum (230k posts, 10k users)? My understanding is it can really only be done once, and once you open the floodgates on XF activity, you can't import and merge.

Thoughts? Should I wait for a point release on the importer?

It's only ever going to get out of beta if people try it and tell us if there's anything wrong.

Imports can be done any number of times, all you need to do is close your SMF board temporarily, have XF installed in another folder, and import into that. Then you can open your SMF board again. As far as your users are concerned, the site will have been closed for a short period of time. Meanwhile, you will have a copy of your SMF stuff in XenForo. At that point, it's recommended to spend some time making sure everything works as you would expect and that no data is missing. Also check things like options and permissions for those things that may not map exactly how you would like from SMF.

Report any problems to us and we will rectify them.

Once you're happy that the import works properly, you can do the process again into a clean XF installation, and then make XF available to your users.

This guide will help:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/importing-guidelines.25325/

Superb new feature, thanks guys:cool:

I'll try a test import from SMF over the coming weekend and let you know of any issues I find, if any.

Is there any way I could get some help with 301 re-directs from the current SMF forum instalation? I am also planning on moving this forum from the root to a sub-directory myforum.com/community, anything I need to be aware of, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance Andy

There aren't any immediate plans to release any redirection scripts, but if you choose the option to retain content IDs then most content will be very easily redirected with some simple htaccess rules, or similar.

There may be some members willing to help with this, or even some who have done it before who can tell you how to do it.

I have fully redirected all my SMF2.0.x URLs to xenforo so I can help if you like. As mentioned you must have 1:1 content IDs in place otherwise you're screwed. As long as you're going into a fresh Xenforo install with nothing in it then it's quite easy. You literally must have nothing in the database for content, no boards, extra users and your admin user in Xenforo should have the same username/email as your admin in SMF so it updates instead of creates new.

I have fully redirected all my SMF2.0.x URLs to xenforo so I can help if you like. As mentioned you must have 1:1 content IDs in place otherwise you're screwed. As long as you're going into a fresh Xenforo install with nothing in it then it's quite easy. You literally must have nothing in the database for content, no boards, extra users and your admin user in Xenforo should have the same username/email as your admin in SMF so it updates instead of creates new.

that'd be great @dknife I'd appreciate a little help on this:cool:

If a do a xenforo install on a subfolder, then import all my smf forum onto this, is there anything I need to do to ensure all the content IDs are 1:1 or will this automatically happen on a clean install?

Thanks in advance

that'd be great @dknife I'd appreciate a little help on this:cool:

If a do a xenforo install on a subfolder, then import all my smf forum onto this, is there anything I need to do to ensure all the content IDs are 1:1 or will this automatically happen on a clean install?

Thanks in advance
Where it is installed isn't relevant for the ID matching. You're fine there.

Top Bottom